What is the best way to potty train my 3 year old son?

He will go potty in the toliet and has only had one accident each day but I cannot get him to poop in the toliet. Now he's holding it.

SeansRoxyMom

Asked by SeansRoxyMom at 4:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I tried everything from books, videos, dolls to potty train my son- you know they say boys are harder to train than girls-be consistent and lots of praise! Try to explain in a way that he will understand-I asked my son if he could make poo poo in the potty, as if it were a challenge, when he did we made a huge deal about it, called everyuone and let them praise him and told him that his body is making more poo poo all the time even right now! He could put some more in the potty later and gets stickers on a paper on the fridge everytime he goes. It worked and he was trained by 3, it took about a week and a half with the stickers. good luck!
    akayday

Answer by akayday at 5:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I've potty trained 3 boys, all around age three. Lots of talking about it. How happy you'll be if he starts wearing big boy pants, instead of baby diapers. Acting really grossed out by his poopy diaper, and how he should do it in the toilet. I also put restrictions on them. They can't use markers like the big boys until he wears big boy pants, stuff like that. M&M's work too, like the sticker system. I agree with akayday, too. When he goes, make a HUGE deal about it. Oh, also, before you put him in the bath at night, try to have him go. He's already naked, so its easier. Just remember... I've never known a 5 year old who still wears diapers. When he's ready, he's ready.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 5:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008