Baby with Bad Eczema help!!!

My daughter is almost 6 months old and she had the worse eczema i have ever seen.

WE went to the dermotologist and he gave her a cream but it ended upo bleaching her skin. its terrible.
Her skin gets so dry and red and rough she always seems so itchy and uncomfortable. Its affecting her sleep and her comfort. Ive tried all the creams out there from avenno, triple paste cream, aquafore. Nothing seems to help or sooth her.
Ive even cut her baths down to once every 3 days. What can i do
I feel terrible I only want her to e happy and comfortable!

Please help me out :(:(:(

Jmommy2B

Asked by Jmommy2B at 10:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Did he give you hydrocortizone cream? That always dried up my DD's skin. I used to have to put that on and then some very mild lotion right after it dried. I would take her back to the doc if it is affecting her sleep. I don't know what else to do, hope someone else can help!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My dr. gave dd a rx for Hylira. It is a mild steroid. It has worked wonders for my dd. For bath time, it is as fast as possible, I don't even wash her hair while the rest of her body is in the water. I take her out wrap her in a towel and hold her laying back to wash her hair. There are so many creams out there for excema, my sister went through the skin bleaching thing too. I am looking forward to spring, in winter excema tends to get a lot worse.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my kids have excema. For my 2yo I will take her cream and mix it 1 portion of cream with 2 portions of baby lotion. It helps with the dry skin, itching, and the lotion doles down the intensity of the cream for her sensitive skin. It works great. Good luck. I have also found that I can only use Tide, Downy liquid softener (not the sheets) and Dove soap because they have the least amount of chemicals and so do the best with keeping the excema away, Hard water also makes excema flare up.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Take her to an allergist. Find out what her triggers are. If you are nursing you may have to stop eating certain things. You can try alternating with bag balm and hydrocortisone cream. Keep the bag balm away from her eyes and nose and vaginal area. It contains mentholatum which can hurt those areas. Good luck and keep us informed.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my son was the same way. his dr. told me to grease him down with coconut oil and but him long loose pajamas and apply lotion at every diaper change. within a few days he was sooo much better. also take her to an allergist, my sons was caused by a milk allergy. she may have an allergy you dont know about.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• First most important thing to understand about eczema, that doctors tend to fail to tell you, is that it is an allergic reaction. So first off you need to try to figure out what is messing with her skin. Could be anything from your perfume (that she comes in contact with from touching you) to the laundry detergent you use. I had two boys that had severe eczema. . . with my eldest I had a real hard time getting it under control because I didn't understand what it was. . . once I figured out what the problem product was I was able to control it with only cortisone and moisturizing several times a day. Within a few week he was eczema free. Setting him up on a blanket for a little morning sun also worked like a charm for my second, and he never had more that a dime size spot and hasn't had it since.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Here is some advice from a great website, and its also the advice my son's doctor gave me over 10 years ago when he was diagnosed with eczema:

An infant with eczema should only wear soft all cotton clothing with no synthetic fibers. Parents with infants who have eczema should wash the child’s bedding and clothing only in hypoallergenic detergents and the clothing should be sent through the rinse cycle twice. Also, you should keep the child’s room and play areas free of dust mites because they are a common eczema trigger.

Some parents don’t realize that baby eczema is often triggered by food allergies. One recent study revealed that about 40 percent of babies with eczema suffered from food allergies. Diary is often the culprit. Babies who are breast feeding may also get food allergies from substances in the mother’s milk. It is important for breastfeeding moms to especially careful about their diet.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You should be very careful about using baby lotions on infants with eczema. Some of the lotions have a high water content that that can dry and irriate3 the skin when evaporation takes place. Some of the fragrances and active ingredients in baby lotion can aggravate eczema symptoms. Creams and ointments containing all natural ingredients should be used instead of baby lotions. Many health food stores have these types of products. Most parents find that natural home remedies are the best way to treat their infant’s eczema symptoms.
    AprilDJC

• Dairy is usually the problem. Eczema stems from a food allergy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Her Ped Thought it was a food allergy as well. And it stopped some of her spitting up and rashes on her face. But shortly after it came back again. I will look for a allergist and see what they say. Thank you all for the advice.
    Jmommy2B

Answer by Jmommy2B at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009