My son will not eat rice cereal...

he won't even work it around in his mouth, he either just spits it out or it just sits in there. Does he HAVE to accept rice cereal before we can give him veggies and such? I think he would take other things just fine, I just think he doesn't like the taste of it.

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 10:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope he doesn't need to take cereal at all ever. You can start with any food really. Avocado is a good first food.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my son HATED cereal. he went straight to stage one foods :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's not necessary to start with cereal. But if he is refusing, he might not be ready. Try mashing some banana or avacado and offer that. It's way better then cereal. How old is he?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• he just turned 5 months. The doctor told me I cannot give him baby foods (veggies) until he takes the cereal. I feel like he is ready because sometimes I will give him little bites of things I eat and he loves it.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 10:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• He doesn't need the cereal. Try the first foods. I actually just read something not too long ago that said that babies do not need to be on cereal if they are still bf or taking formula.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Go with your instincts, the doctor isn't always right about everything. If you think he is ready then try it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son hated cereal too. If you really think you need to give him cereal, try giving him the oats instead. I think that one is more tolerable and better for baby anyways. I would just go to stage one foods. My son love banana and avocado and he loves sweet potatoes. Those are better options for your baby anyways.
    Good luck.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• He doesn't "NEED" cereal. But at his age, he might not need anything yet. So if he refuses veggies or fruits too, don't worry. Try again in a month or two.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• rice cereal is nasty (my son kindly threw some into my mouth one day) I wouldn't eat it either. when my son does that with his food it's because he thinks it is disgusting I tried to feed him prunes the other day and they just sat on his tongue untl I gave up and went and got some green beans.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• "rice cereal is nasty"

That's funny because I love the taste of baby cereal. I used to eat it all the time when I was a kid and for about a week when I was pregnant it was all I could keep down!

He doesn't need to eat the rice cereal, but just introduce the others very slow!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009