4 mth feeding question

My four month old is a piggie!!! He never seems full after his bottles. He takes 6-8 oz every 2 hours ! Family and friends suggest cereal so we tried that and he didn't seem to get any more full. Now, we've been giving him a 1/2 to a full jar of FIRST FOODS a day and he seems so much better! He gets good and full and stays in such a good mood! And he LOVES to eat the baby food. He takes it from the spoon really well. He opens him mouth for the spoon, closes his mouth around it and it almost looks like he's trying to chew it before he swallows. He never spits it out or anything like that. I haven't seen any changes -- as in allergic reactions so I assume this is ok. Some baby foods says 4+ and 3+ months so I thought it was alright to feed him but a lot of people keep telling me that he's too young and I'm going to hurt him.

When did you start feeding your children jarred baby food???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Me? I began offering some pureed veggie around 7 and a half months. He didn't eat solids regularly (every day) until 11 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well I think if you are going to introduce baby foods at a young age go SLOW. So don't introduce a new food every few days. My pediatrician said if you start foods before 6 months do one cereal, one fruit and one vege and then wait until they are 6 months before starting anything else. That is what we did. We did Cereal at 4 months, avocado at about 4 1/2 and sweet potato at around 5 months and stuck with that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I started feeding him 1st foods at 4 monthes but his pedi told me to because of his stomach problems. Just ask his doctor about it they'll tell you if you need to stop or if its okay. Cereal in a bottle is the same thing as cereal on a spoon so ignore everyone who tells you that you're hurting your child.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my daughter's pediatrician told me to start introducing 1st foods, one time a day, when I went in for her 4 month checkup. I was very shocked. So, I excitedly attempted to feed her a 1st food and she was disgusted by the whole thing. I continued to try every day or every other day to see if she would eat it. I would say at around 6 months did she finally have the interest to eat something aside from her bottle.

So, let him enjoy! Happy belly makes for happy baby.
    rai.of.sunshine

Answer by rai.of.sunshine at 10:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I started my son on cereal at 4 months, then baby food at 4 1/2 months, with the pediatrician's ok. He eats a variety of baby food now, giving him five days on a new food to make sure he doesn't have a reaction. Do what you feel is best...like rai.of.sunshine said a happy belly makes for a happy baby. Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think what you're doing is just fine. You're being smart and watching for allergic reactions. If the baby is happy and you're happy then that's great!!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Rather than following any certain month schedule, I've been going by Gerber's schedule which says to start giving them first foods and cereal when they can sit up with help and 2nd foods and juices when they are an independent sitter. There are third and fourth phases for when they start crawling and walking but I haven't looked into them yet.

I've been giving my 5 month old First foods now since she was about 3.5 months. She drinks a 6-8 ounce bottle and then she eats a jar of baby food (at first it was only 1/2 a jar) with every other bottle. So she ends up getting around 5 formula bottles and 2 baby food jars a day. She is getting close to being able to sit on her own so I figure in another couple weeks I am going to start gradually adding in the 2nd stage foods and juices.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009