How long for a front tooth to grow in? If its already showing its shape through the gums.

I am seventeen years old now and when i was younger i had an extra tooth i'd say i was about 5 or something when i got that extra tooth that was blocking my adult tooth taken out so that my adult tooth could come through, something happened that stopped that adult tooth from coming down and all of my teeth moved inward. I got braces when i was sixteen maybe fifth teen and they started to bring my teeth back to their normal spot. Now i have a chain on that stubborn tooth and every month i go to the orthodontist and he tightens an elastic rubber band type thing. And now the tooth in my gums is showing in my gums if i lift up my lip. The bottom of that tooth is aligned with the braces that stick to my teeth. If he keeps tightening the elastic band, how long is it going to take for that tooth to be at its normal spot (aligned with all of my other teeth)?

joannnne21

Asked by joannnne21 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2012 in Health

• Ask your orthodontist what he thinks about it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• Honestly, I have no idea. I have a baby tooth that I never lost and I pondered having done what you're doing. However, no one knew if it would even work for me so I decided not to.

Hopefully your orthodontist will be able to give you a better idea.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• That's really a question for your orthodontist. No one here is qualified to answer that.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• I honestly don't know.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• This is a question for an orthodontist

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• well i know i has the same sort of problem with my wisdom teeth and when they broke through the gum they took about 2 month a peace to grow all the way out
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 3:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2012