Can Religion hold you back?

I see so many women on here who seem so brainwashed by their religion that it seems to me that they forget to live their lives. If you had no religion do you think you could experience more in life?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 10:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are good and bad points to EVERY religion. Religion can be a great foundation. It can help keep you on the "straight and narrow", so to speak. Encourage you to be a good person and to give you a community to rely on. Religion can also "cloud your judgment", especially when you're made to believe that YOUR religion is the only religion that matters. We all know that religions were man-made but I also believe they were ALL divinely inspired. There is no religion that is better than any other. They are simply human understandings of what life is about and what happens when it's over.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think you are making an assumption on information you are getting from an internet forum. Every mom on here is only going tell you only what they want you to know. That being said, there are moms on here that have been delivered from a level of sin they are ashamed to talk about they are grateful that God delivered them. They know rehab couldn't do it, a mental institution did not do it, or any other form of rituals. They know with a shadow of a doubt that Jesus and Jesus alone did it. That is if you are referring to real Christian women anyway.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i wouldnt say hold you back... but if your really in religon it does stop you from doing things you may enjoy... i try to be a christian... i def. believe in the faith but its so hard to be what is expected being one... but that of course is why jesus died for our sins... we are expected to mess up but we are given the chance to ask for forgivness and do better the next time.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Sis ~ I am not speaking of only Christians, all religions....
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There is religion and then there are the people who practice it. Unfortunately since all people are flawed the practice falls far short of the ideal. I don't think the ideal is bad but anyone who is narrow-minded-bigoted-or on a high horse due to "religion" is surely held back.
    fairy74

Answer by fairy74 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's possible.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think it can hold some people back but those that do get held back do not know it. These are the people who define themselves by their religion. the are so engulfed in it that they forget to live. They do not associate with others outside of their beliefs unless they are preaching at them. They will not get to know people for who they are. Life is not about living in a tidy little box and only exposing yourself to those who think like you. Life is about learning, experiencing, loving, teaching, sharing, etc. There is a reason we are a diverse race. Living that kind of life is a breeding ground for intolerance and social ignorance.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I find what may be narrow-minded to one my not be to another. What I mean is if someone has a true undying faith in their God, then that is their standard. As a person who really follows no creed or religion I do have the opportunity to expand my thoughts. They are not held by a deity or my undying faith to Gods word. Am I right to have such an open mind and free spirit, The day will come when I find that out. Some people may "believe" in God, just in case but I will not be something I am not.
    I do not think those people are wrong though, that is their faith, therefore in their hearts it is what they want to live, just like me, they cannot live something that they are not.
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 11:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Perfectly normal people practice all kinds of religion, but many use it to hide their true nature.
    It’s an excuse to be willfully ignorant, hateful, racist, and irresponsible. Don't like brown people? Elect one, he MUST be the anti-christ. You hate white people? It's ok, they're all zionists. Never want to make a decision and be responsible? The book says the wife obeys. Not my fault we're broke, my place is home, watching Days of our Lives. –cont’d-
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• -cont’d- Can't ever be wrong or your entire psyche might crack? Anyone who practices another religion is evil, and to so much as look them in the eye could be powerful enough to drag you with them, even though your faith is stronger than anyone else in town, and you keep a cleaner house and more perfect kids than all of them! Oh, and take all their kids away, because raising them in that restrictive Christian/permissive Wiccan/evil Muslim home should be a crime.
    The religions aren't the problem, it's the practitioners who are the issue.
    NotPanicking