I have a 5 month old daughter and everyone tells me that its normal to loose my hair because of hormones changing but is it normal to loose enough to make a wig? And how long does this last?

DPadilla1

Asked by DPadilla1 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Health

• Nah, that doesn't sound normal to me. And I've lost a lot of hair with each child (3 kids). You lose your hair about 6 weeks after a really stressful ordeal (moving, divorce, baby, etc...)
    There are several medical things that can make you lose hair. Thyroid is one of them. Go see your doctor about it. If hair loss runs in your family, you might look into rogain. Women use it too.
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 10:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• About a month after my daughter was born I got in the shower 1 day and my hair seemed like it was coming out in chunks!.. I was freaking out. Its totally norm and it should calm down after a while.
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have alot of hair!! and ive had two kids back to back and i lost alot of hair for about 6 months after i had my last baby...it still falls out but no where near the amount it was... if your worried ask your doctor but i think it is normal...
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 10:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I found out the hard way that pregnancy is very hard on the thyroid gland. One of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland is excessive hair loss. I would recommend asking your doctor to do a thyroid test.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I had an over-active thyroid after my first and my hair was coming out big time. Get your levels checked. Mine resolved its self and I did not have any problems with kids #2 and #3, but I am checked about every 6 months. My midwife says some women lose more hair around the 5-7 month range and then it slows down. You really didn't lose much hair for the almost 10 months of pregnancy so it is now catching up. I have thick (then longer) hair and it was all over. It will slow down.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• my baby is 7 months and I too am losing large amounts of hair. I was told it could last up to a year, but I really haven't got any straight answers.
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I never really LOST hair but my hair got thinner.... I talked to one lady that was losing chunks of hair after her children and then again after a surgery... she started taking a vitamin "Biotin" and her hair has gotten thicker and stopped falling out... I JUST started taking it.... Haven't been taking it long enough to see any difference yet tho..
    StephieChelle

Answer by StephieChelle at 10:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• you may have cancer cause not normal get checked
    Meow1979

Answer by Meow1979 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2008