I got my ex's income tax return..... (not really a question, more a vent/sharing excitement)

He got about $6,000 back but he owes me over $20,000 in back child support. We have 2 kids together haven't been together since I was pregnant with the youngest, 4 years ago and he only pays child support 3 months out of every year at most. 2 years ago, he got remarried and started taking care of his wife's kids and they had one together but still, didn't regularly pay child support for his own children. Now his wife called me saying I am taking from their kids because they promised their kids a trip to Disney World that they can now not take because I got their income tax return. She also says that I shouldn't take it because I don't need it (which, who couldn't use extra money, yeah, I get my bills paid and we have what we need but why should I give up money that I could give my kids extras with so that their kids can have extras?) I told her maybe she should explain to them that the money went to his kids because he promised to take care of them when he decided to TRY to have a baby (both of them were planned, I didn't know when I got pregnant with the second one that he was cheating on me) and he hasn't been doing that. Now they are really mad because my DD told them that we are going to Disney World. I swear, I didn't plan it like that but I had planed to take them anyway before I knew I was getting his refund too. I am trying not to rub it in her face, but honestly, it feels good, for so long, I had to watch my ex take care of her kids while not helping with ours and now my kids are getting what they deserve.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2012 in Money & Work

• Didn't I read this in groups...?
    layawatling

Answer by layawatling at 12:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• I am glad you got it and if he doesn't pay you as he is supposed to I would have the state garnish his wages.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• layawaiting, not from me. Dardenella, he was having his wages garnished but then he would switch jobs and it would take a couple months for them to start garnishing, then he would quit that job
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• Hey the money legally went to you, if they didn't know that was going to happen they aren't very smart. Good for you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• Keep on with the garnishing :) Sooner or later he's going to have to accept the situation and keep his job because he now has a second family to take care of (and he must be running out of employment options too).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• Anon, you sound just like me. My sons dad got his first job in seven years and they gave me his refund, he is fit to be tied over it too. Oh well I waited long enough lol. But mine hasn't hit yet my acct yet, congrats to you enjoy Disney.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• I would tell him and his new wife that Karma is a bitch and they shouldn't have messed with her in the first place.

My ex's new wife lost her job and he is bitching to me about having to pay support and medical cost. Our son is disabled, but I don't get Social Security for him although my ex thinks I do. You should have heard that conversation.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• you deserve it!
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• She could have filed an injured spouse claim with the IRS and they would have given her half. If she didnt then too bad.

Answer by gemgem at 8:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2012

• Wow, that's crazy. I have 2 kids with my ex, he owed me 20grand, and we haven't been together since I was pregnant with the second (minus one little blip of a few months). And, I got his return too! Lol What's up NOW? :)

Congrats. I wish I could take my kids to Disney with the money but alas, responsibility beckons me:(
    (not saying you aren't responsible, just saying I have bills that have to be paid;)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2012