Detergent

Anyone tried Purex detergent? What about Suavitel fabric softener? I have always used Tide and always Downy for laundry. But, I am trying to cut some expenses. These 2 brands were cheaper than the Tide & Downy of course, but do you think the Purex works just as well? Are there any other detergents that are reasonably priced yet effective?

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I haven't tried Purex or Suavitel, but I use Arm & Hammer and it costs about half of Tide, and I use the dryer sheets instead of liquid softener, so no help there.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I won't buy anything but Tide w/ Bleach. I've tried cheaper stuff but my whites turn out dull and dingy. I cut cost on many other things but I like my whites bright white.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I've used Purex for years with no problems, but I don't have very young children with really dirty clothes. I don't use fabric softener. Since Tide has been showing their commercial on how their product has more cleaning substance and less water than other detergents I must admit that I have purchased Tide recently even though it costs more than Purex - I had a coupon and the Tide was on sale, of course. If your clothes are not really dirty I don't see what difference it would make which detergent you choose to use.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 11:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have been using purex on my clothes for 19 years! My brother had really bad skin problems and thats what my mom always used. IT dosent have enzymes in it like others do. AS for the fabric softner i dont use it cause I have 2 kids that are allergic to it and break out in horrible hives. YOu can how ever use white vinegar in place of the fabric softner and it also helps with static. And NO your clothes wont smell like vinegar!!
    mom2kmt

Answer by mom2kmt at 12:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you want to save money, why not make your own detergent and instead of buying fabric softener, why not just use white vinegar? The group "Green, Organic, Natural, Simple Living" right here on Cafemom (http://www.cafemom.com/group/18883) has several laundry soap "recipes" that you could try and they work just as well, if not better, than the commercial brands for about a quarter of the cost.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009