birthing plan I NEED HELP -plz answer all that you can-

ok im 35 weeks and i am doing my birthing plan and i need help with some stuff
wut is a heparin or saline lock???
is it good to get routine oxytocin (Pitocin) after I deliver the placent???
if i feed my baby on demand wut does that mean????
im new at this whole thing and i am gonna have a doula but i need these answers or an explanation on them asap for my birthing class homework

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Only think I know is that feeding your baby on demand means feeding when the baby lets you know he/she is hungry. Not on a set schedule.
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 11:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• *thing
    sorry :)
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 11:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• squish

Answer by squish at 11:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't get the lock or PP Pit. It all depends on what you prefer and why, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Google search "birth plan generator" and find a generator you like. They will walk you through your birth plan and help you make your selections and then print it out on your home printer. Honestly, I worked long and hard on my birth plan and threw it right out of the freaking window when I was in labor. The nurses and doctors did a good job asking me what I wanted, explaining it to me and following through. They were even cool if I changed my mind about any decision I had made. I do recommend feeding on demand though and I highly recommend breast feeding.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Heparin Lock IV means that it's in your arm with out the strings attached. A saline lock means you have a saline bag attached. Heparin Lock is a lot better for mobility and most hospitals only use heparin locks now a days.

NO. Do not get routine pitocin. The placenta will expell itself naturally. Do not let them pull on it, or push on your stomach. NONE of that is necessary. Nursing your baby immediatly will help your uterus contract. It is much safer to allow the placenta to deliver naturally. Also, put in there that you don't want the cord to be clamped/cut until it stops pulsating to ensure that your baby gets ALL of its good blood!

Feeding on demand means nursing when they want to, etc. :) It's best to nurse asap after birth. :) Also getting 1 hour of bonding time before any tests are performed etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009