Is it all right for kids to see parents naked? I have never been the modest type and becauseof circumstances my 11 year old has shared a bathroom with us .I nevert thought anything about it before but now I am starting to wonder.

My son has never seemed to notice or care . Are americans more up tight than europeans? My husband is much more modest than I am.We also have a 16 month old daughter and he would just die if she saw him naked!! Should I worry about scarring my son for life or relax about it?

sweetheartpink

Asked by sweetheartpink at 11:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• he is old enough for it to stop and I would say it should have stopped several years ago but that is just an opinion. no reason for two people to be in the bathroom at the same time just take turns. I have 3 kids and all 5 of us share the bathroom but we take turns.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have a 10 year old son and don't allow him to see me that way. Nothing wrong with it but I just don't do it. I feel uncomfortable. DH will not walk around the house with his boxers because we also have a 6 year old daughter. Just respect I guess. We used to walk around all types of ways but now that the kids are older we don't do it.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 11:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• he is too old for that simply. my husband grew up with a large family of boys, his dad and mom plus a livein relative and visiting relatives - and all with one toilet, one sink, one shower!! think of how hectic that was!
    Anonymous

• My four year old knows the difference between his body parts and mine, so NO I don't walk about naked. I'm not uptight, I just don't want to have a four year old boy gawking at me while I am trying to pee! LOL!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you are both comfortable with it. I don't walk around naked but I don't hide from my son should he happen in while I'm changing (in my room--I always lock the bathroom door because it's the only room that locks so it's the only place I get privacy).
    He's 7 and still takes baths with his 6yo sister and changes in front of her.
    My husband walks around in just his underwear all the time and will run from the bathroom upstairs to our room downstairs wearing nothing. We have 3 girls (8, 6 and 2). The older 2 just look away. The 2yo doesn't care. She likes to streak through the house, too.
    It's only an issue if you make it an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i think thats completely WRONG!! would you have wanted to see your parents naked at that age?? NO! thats disgusting! when theyre young, like up to 5yrs old, fine..but an 11 year old???!!! EWWWWW! ya youre his mom, but..he's starting to get "feelings" down there..and think of how he will feel if for some messed up reason he got turned on by YOU!! thats definetly gonna scar him for life! i would be so embarrased if i was him, id never want friends over..ew NO NO NO!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I never looked at it that way. I Did see my parents naked when i was that age we just never thought twice about it.I mean we're not talking about lounging around the house naked just glimpses or changing clothes. What about people who live in nudist colonies? Never mind,those folks do seem kind of weird!
    sweetheartpink

Answer by sweetheartpink at 2:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• LOL to the nudist colonies!

Honestly, if he's used to it I doubt you have scared him for life. I grew up in a home where my mother almost never shut the door to her room when she was getting dressed and such. Even now it isn't weird for me to sit on her bed and talk to her while she is getting dressed if I am visiting. My little brother is almost 11, and he could care less. My mother does pull her door shut now that he is older, but if he happens to walk by her he could care less. A lot of people put importance on nudity. I'm not scared for life and my little brother is the easiest going, most well adjusted kid you'll ever meet. It simply depends on the family and the way the kids are raised from day 1. Now if he had never seen you naked and you walked into the living room one day completely nude when he was 11, we might have a serious issue! lol.
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 2:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would just relax. I think that when your son starts asking for privacy that is when you should think about it. There are 5 people in my family, my husband our 2 sons and our daughter. We have only 1 bathroom so there are times when by boys are brushing there teeth and she is getting in the shower.

I think if you are open and comfortable with your body then you are teaching your children a great lesson. I agree that most Americans are uptight about nudity and that is a very sad thing.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't see the big deal. All of my kids see me at one time or another. They could care less, my oldest is 10.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009