If I Get Pregnant While Breastfeeding, Do I have to Stop Breastfeeding?

I understand how LAM works, however, my son is under 6 months, eats every 2.5 hours and I still have my period! (yes, I know, not fair right?!). We are not trying but if for some reason I were to become pregnant, would I still be able to keep on breastfeeding my son? Or are hormone levels necessary for maintaining breastmilk (Prolactin?) not conducive to a healthy atmosphere in the womb for a growing fetus?

(FYI, eliminate BC pills/shots/patches from your answers. I had such horrible experiences with the types I tried, I'll never use it again. Same goes for implantables. The idea of an IUD creeps me out for some reason. I honestly just want to know if I would have to stop breast feeding).

Thank you :-)

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• People nurse during pregnancy, or even tandem (nurse both kids), all the time. Be aware, however, that your milk production may change or go down, and the flavor can change. Some kids are turned off by the flavor of the milk during pregnancy and refuse to nurse. I'm guessing this is a biological thing to ensure the fetus gets all the nutrients it needs. They say it's good to way 6 -12 months after you stop nursing to get pregnant, so that your body can build up nutrient stores for when you DO get pregnant. However, people do it all the time without problems.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• no
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Absolutely not! You can even keep breast feeding after you have the new baby (if you do have another). People do it all the time. It's called tandem nursing.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you delivered via Csection, it's usually recommended that you stop nursing asap after becoming pregnant again. Nursing does stimulate the uterus.... so with a weakened/unhealed uterus, the longer you nurse, the greater the risk of problems.

But, if you delivered vaginally, I think it's usually ok.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i've wondered the same question. you should google it or ask your dr. and i totally feel the same way about IUD's or any foreign object being placed inside me. eww creepy gross.lol
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Nope. Breastfeeding doesn't stimulate the uterus enough to worry about it. Unless you have a health issue, etc, there is no need to quit nursing :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• no but with a iud you would have too not safe to breastfeed with
    Anonymous