Any ones mother and mother-in-law driving them crazy about baby food?

I just started my 5 month old on cereal. My doctor gave me the go ahead at 4 months but said to try and hold out until 5 to 6 months because of the whole allergy thing. Any way before I started my daughter on cereal both my mom and mother-in-law were constantly asking me when I was going to start her on cereal and telling me oh when he was this age I was giving them this already and so on. They were driving me crazy. Even now since I started cereal and there on my back again about when I'm going to start fruits and veggies. I keep telling them she's my daughter and I will give her food when I feel she's ready. I don't see what the big rush is. Also I don't like it when they try to give her taste of different foods their eating. I tell them nicely as I can I really don't want them doing that. My mom still does it and think it's funny when I get upset. I don't know how to tell my mother in-law to quit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you have to stop being nice. Just be up front, and if they continue to do it, Don't let your daughter be with them for meal time.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• haha thats so funny. i've been hearing to give him cereal, baby food and juice since he was like a month old saying thats what they all did. i keep saying no my dr said not till 4 months and they just gave me wierd looks like i was crazy.
    JILLANNY84

Answer by JILLANNY84 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Try telling them that you're watching carefully for allergies and that them giving tastes of their food is throwing off your system. If you make it sound health related they might stop.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Remind them that nothing new is to go into her mouth, because of allergies. And that you only want to feed her new items early in the morning so that you can monitor her all day. You may have to be snappy . . . You are the MOTHER!! Ask them how they would feel if someone undermined their parental authority when you and dh were babies.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I dont have many issues getting my point across to my moms but I would suggest that you talk to each one and ask them how they felt when they were a new mom and their mom or MIL was talking them how to raise their baby. i think that they will remember that its hard enough being a new mom without someone telling how to raise your child. Hope that helps.
    Lovelee-Mama

Answer by Lovelee-Mama at 2:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my inlaws did the same thing when my daughter was a baby kept buggin me to start her on baby food. it was so annoying. i just said i am doing what the doc says for me to do. maybe your mother in law should help buy baby food its not cheap. i can say my mother in law did help buy baby food some when my daughter was a baby. so that was one good thing. she still does tells me what i should do, i guess she is just trying to help buy it still annoys me.
    Anonymous

• You need to let your husband handle your mother in law, but in the meantime, put the baby next to you at the table and just keep reminding your mom that you want to wait to give her table food.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009