6 year old pulling out her own hair...

At some point over the last few days my daughter pulled large clumps of hair out of her head. When her hair is lifted up or back (as in pulling back in pony tail fashion), she has bald patches on the sides of her head. In talking to her she said that she did it a few days ago at night. I asked her if she was feeling sad or scared or something when she did it, she said no. I asked her why she did it and she said she doesn't know. I asked if she was angry about something or feeling bad, she said no. I said were you just bored? She said "yeah, I was just bored." I had a long talk with her, let her know it was not okay to pull her hair out or do anything that will hurt herself. I made her promise she would not pull any more hair out. I am worried about this. Do you think I should make an appointment with her pediatrician? Her great Grandma died Thursday, maybe this has something to do with it?

AprilD32

Asked by AprilD32 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have Trichotillomania. It's a real problem and very difficult to control. It's very possible that's what the problem is. Do some research on it and talk to the doctor.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Definitely make an appointment with the ped. If it is what I think it is Tricotillomania, you need to have help.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thanks. I took her to the peditritian this morning. The doc said she believes that Trichotillomania is the correct diagnosis. Her Grandma passed away on Thursday, the stress of the last few days could be why she has done this. The doc said if she hasn't stopped doing this within 2 weeks to take her back in. They would get her some mood stabalizing medication and get her in therapy.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009