What do you use?

Tonight when my 5 year old daughter went to bed, she came back down after 15 minutes saying that she was afraid of ghosts and that they come and take people away and she was afraid to go to sleep.

So, I told her that daddy had a special spray (Febreeze) for ghosts and that I would spray it in her room to help get rid of them. She bought it, I sprayed it, and she's sound asleep.

So I'm wondering, what kind of silly things do you come up with to help ease your child's fears?

gumby11883

Asked by gumby11883 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Mine hasn't reached that age yet, but the way you handled it is adorable.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• not their yet.. but i'll write that one down lol.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my daughter(almost 5) has never done that to me yet..she's tried it, just to get out of going to bed..but i just told her she was being silly and that they dont exist...but if she ver took it up a level and was screaming about it..yess..i would do the exact same thing you did..make a lil label for the febreeze, or airspray can whatever, and spray her room "free of ghosts or monsters"
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my foster parents told me that god watched over me and that noone or nothing could ever hurt me .. i know it sounds silly but i was about 6 and they took me in after alot ofo abuse so most of the little tricks didnt work
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My dd is almost 15 and sees a ghost regularly in our house. I don't ever make her feel bad or silly about it. I hung a cedar branch (small piece) on her door which is supposed to ward away ghosts.
    leftcoastgirl

Answer by leftcoastgirl at 2:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Sounds weird but my son respects and loves his Papa that died when he was a year and a half and this has worked since, "Honey,the only ghost in your room would be Papa, and do you think he would ever let anything bad happen to you"? He says "No" and I say "night, my love".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• DD came to me saying that there were monsters in her room, and they were going to eat her. I told her monsters don't like to eat little kids, they like to eat PBJ's just like her. So now she says her monsters are hungry could I please make them sandwiches.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My children have never done that. I don't know if it has anything to do with them sharing a room together or not. But if I ever hear of a child having that sort of problem I am going to suggest your solution - I think it is a wonderful idea!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2009