Forgive my ignorance

So I am 35 and have 3 kids (16,15, & 8). I was never told to avoid anything during pregnancy except alcohol. I was also told I should not use the patch to quit smoking, because it would be more dangerous than smoking. So I continue to smoke to this day. BTW my kids are all totally healthy. The question is why is caffiene supposed to be bad?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 1:28 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is some connection with heavy caffeine and early miscarriage, however the risk is very slight. Since there has been so much research done on how certain chemicals effect a fetus these days, there is SO much pregnant women are told to avoid, some for good reason, and others have such a slight risk factor associated, it would be silly to avoid certain things altogether, especially if those things decrease your stress factor. It is always best, however, to ere on the side of caution.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• lol idk i guess cause they tested rats .. i think its crap ive never heard of any good reason of why it was bad and i drink sweet tea all the time
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I drank caffeine my entire first pregnancy, and it seemed like after she was born she was addicted to caffeine and since she couldn't have it she was fussy and wouldn't sleep through the night. Don't know if that was really why. But with my second I had decaffeinated drinks and she was an angel she hardly ever cried, and she slept through the night from 3 weeks old on. That's just my theory though I have no idea if it was even related the the caffeine intake. Hope this helps!
    Christie8506

Answer by Christie8506 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well caffeine isn't good for you in general lol.. It's on the lower end of the speed spectrum and isn't healthy. I think the risk is miscarriage with heavy caffeine use..

ecause caffeine can cause blood vessels to constrict, it may reduce blood flow to the placenta. And because it easily crosses the placenta and reaches your baby (who then very slowly metabolizes it), caffeine may directly affect his developing cells.

A study in Denmark found that the risk of stillbirth more than doubled in women who drank a great deal of coffee per day — eight cups or more — compared with non-coffee drinkers. And some studies suggest that high levels of caffeine consumption by Mom may slightly reduce a baby's birth weight, but other research has shown no association.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• One study found a link between maternal caffeine consumption equal to three cups of coffee per day and an increased risk of having a son born with undescended testes. This happens when the testes don't move from the pelvis into the scrotum as they usually do in late pregnancy.

Other research has shown that babies whose mothers consumed more than 500 mg of caffeine a day had faster heart rates and breathing rates and spent more time awake in the first few days after birth.
    celticreverie

• caffeine goes too the baby and she or he can come out being addicted to it from what my doctors are telling me also being pregnant and do lots of caffeine can cause you to have kidney infections and other problems and its not good they say too limit all caffeine in take too 2 8oz glasses a day
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the good info. I guess maybe my kids won the genetic lotto because I drank tons of soda and coffee all throughout my pregnancies.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 12:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2009