can an infant read?? ............2

i asked this before i want to share the site with u www.yourbabycan.com
check the demos on the left select aleka 9 monthes...then answer me..
my other concern is that english is our second language not our mother tongue so will it be confusing for my daughter if i start teaching her her second language first.. and any ideas about that.. and how did u get your children to read before kindergarten??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not sure what is my mother tongue since my mother never has an answer about the things I did when I was a baby like when did I walk, what was my first word etc...

I have spoken both languages since I can speak, and so does my son.

con't...

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We were told by ppl. who say they know better to only teach one at a time because it would take him longer to speak then other kids.

But his pediatrician who speaks 5 languages told me that although that is true, that when my son did talk he would know both languages indiscriminently, and would quickly catch up to the other kids when it came to how big his vocabulary was.

I took my doctor's advice and now my son understands me in both languages. My son also speaks in both languages, he'll ask me for wants in english and then the next time he asks he'll ask me in spanish.

He will be 3 in mid Feb and he doesn't stop speaking...lol Although it did take him a little longer to say things like maybe 3 months more then my friend's kids who only speak one language. but now they are not just caught up, my son knows bigger words (because it also relies on the parent to teach) and he knows them in both languages.
    Happ-eToBme

• Some kids just do, they pick it up quickly. Reading to them helps develop an interest, but how quickly they learn just depends on the kid, you can't make them learn any sooner than they are ready. My 7 year old son was about 3 when he started reading, however he has autism and an excellent memory for details, so it was easy for him. My 5 year old daughter started reading a little bit last year, but just started getting really good at it this year, and has been learning fast. They all have their own timetable for what they learn easily and how long it takes :)
    lipstickclouds

Answer by lipstickclouds at 2:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Some kids do pick it up easier and can learn before then....and you can teach her by playing with her...she needs to learn to recognize her letters, what sounds her letters make which you can do with ABC blocks, with foam letters in the bathtub...as she holds one in her hand you tell her "That's a blue A" or whatever. Wooden puzzles where they see a B and a ball together. (or whatever letter) By YOU reading to her, she will see that letters come together to make words. If she shows interest in a word, show her how to sound it out. Just take it step by step. We've always done things like this with the boys and yes...mine are not yet in kindergarten and are starting to read.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Sorry, I had to split the answer because of the stupid character limitation.

Children don't NEED to read before kindergarten. That's when they start learning to read!

That program does not teach how to read. It teaches how to memorize the look of words. When the kids get into kindergarten (or even in preschool) it could be confusing for them because now all of a sudden they have to learn phonics and how letters go together for words, although they will learn sight words (it, an, a, the, on, in, etc)

Reading and two languages...on that I cannot speak as I didn't learn my second language until high school.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2009