Low temp, but possibly sick???

Yesterday my fiance started feeling nauseous, and ended up vomiting and having diarrhea real bad until sometime today. Now his stomach hurts, but no vomiting or diarrhea (that I know of anymore). I thought "that sucks, glad I don't have it" and guess what? I'm pretty sure I got it. My daughter is 3 months and I'm not sure yet if she's sick also or not, but she feels warm, but the temp is 96.8 - lower than what the nurses told me her lowest temp should be (97.6) Should I be concerned and call her pedi tomorrow?? Why would the temp be lower than normal?

ToxikSedation

Asked by ToxikSedation at 1:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be concerned with her temp being that low. Make sure she is dressed warm and if you don't get it up I would call the ped.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 1:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Could it be that you have a faulty themometer? To get a good and accurate temp I would do it rectally. I know it might be hard for you to do it but I wouldn't trust it otherwise at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• A lower then normal temp is similar to a fever and works the same way in very young infants. You should call the pedi and ask what they want you to to do. It is probably a virus, but it is worrisome that she is dropping in temp. It may mean her hypothalmus is not regulating her body temp well. Keep her warm and watch her. I would call the doc on call.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• How did you take her temp? I'm assuming it's not a rectal temp.. probably under her arm? Which can run low and not be very accurate. If you did it in her ear, the thermometers tend not to work well on any nany under 6 months. If you did it rectal... something is wrong, either try again or check the themometer. Sometimes infants can show signs of infection by having very low temps, but it's usually younger infants and the infection is worse than just a stomach bug.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• make sure she is dressed warm, but don't overdress her. I would keep an eye on her. How are you taking her temp? How did the nurse say to take the temp? This is a good site that shows the differences for the way a temp is taken! Hope this helps! http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-fever/FA00063
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• thanks for the answers. I did it under the arm, which is how the nurses told me to do it - I was told not to do rectal. I know it can run a little lower under the arm but I've always done it that way and she was never lower than 76 something before. I think it's some twenty-four hour thing, but I'm guessing I should call her doctor tomorrow then?? I feel absolutely horrible right now.
    ToxikSedation

Answer by ToxikSedation at 1:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't think I would wait. If she is that little and it is a terrible vomiting and diarrea then it is possible it could be a lot of things. Be really careful she doesn't get dehydrated.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Add a degree and her temp is fine.

If she isn't vomiting or doesn't have diarrhea just keep an eye on her. Make sure if you start, that you sanitize your hands before you touch her!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2009