virgin mary

I hope this doent offend anyone When you look at pictures of her she is coverd so why dont christians dress this way?

Before islam i wore tight shirt and jeans now i cover before when I used to go out i would look in the mirror to see how good looked now when i look in the mirror i see if god will be pleased with me ? a muslim man told me the hardest time for them is in the summer. Jesus says in the bible that you can commit adultury with your eyes. Another thing before i cared how i looked outside where there where strange man looking at me. I didnt care how I looked at home when i was with my boyfreind . Now as a muslim i am completly the oppostie I get dressed up at home I think a man will look at woman if it is infront of him. I also have seen my husband completly turn his body around so that He doesnt look . and now i walk down the street and sometimes i feel invisible LOL instead of HEY Baby what your name LOL you know how man are

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 10:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know muslim beliefs, but I do know that a woman shouldn't be ashamed of her body. I mean no disrespect to your religion, but why should the women worry if a man is going to go ape-nuts if he sees her body? If they have that much of a problem controlling their urges, they should seek help. You are who you are. Be proud of yourself and damn anyone who doesn't like that.
    Teens-n-Twins

Answer by Teens-n-Twins at 10:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• as a muslim women I want to say that i am NOT ashamed of my body at all. I cover because i respect myself It isnt about being ashammed.
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 10:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Just because you dressed a certain way as a Christian doesn't mean ALL Christians do dress that way. After all you have said before that NOT all Muslim women "cover-up", or dress like YOU.  There are some Christians that DO believe in "modest" dress. The degree of what is consider to be  "modest" is different from person to person. Earlier today we were talking about what is "modest" dressing: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/11069/What_Constitutes_modest_dress_in_our_age?cat_id=14  (click on the link and check it out)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• my question was more like why dont any christians I see look like marry in the pictures?? you know what i mean
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 11:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Some people are going to do what they want. Simple.
    Zoann

Answer by Zoann at 11:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• FREE WILL....that's why NOT all Muslim women dress the way you dress, it's THEIR CHOICE not to dress that way.

As for why you personally haven't seen any Christian women dress a certain way?? I don't know...perhaps it has to do with where you live...No one here really can answer why you haven't personally seen anyone.

Honestly I've never personally seen a Muslim person in real life.... I'm sure that has to do with my location, where I live, what I do etc. I'm sure those factors and many more have a great influence why I have NEVER met a Muslim person in REAL life.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I also know muslims that dont dress in traditional muslim clothing, they dress in regular clothing, does that make them less of a muslim than you???
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• MM, the Virgin Mary, as depicted in artwork, is typically robed in a style that is thought to have been typical for that period of time in her homeland.

As the times change, so do fashions...

Just as Mary dressed in clothing that was modest, but similar in style to other young women of her time, modern Christian women choose to dress in the styles of our modern era.

There are, of course, exceptions. The Amish people, (a Christian sect) dress in clothing that makes Amish people easily identifiable. The women's long sleeves and long skirts, and the men's dark parts with suspenders are quite different than mainstream Christians wear.

FLDS (fundamentalist latter day saints) choose to wear clothing that is reminiscent of "prairie" dress from the 1800's.

Both groups choose their mode of dress because it is more "modest" than the typical american style, but those styles, too, are very, very different than the r
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I can see that assuming that muslim women covered up out of shame was inaccurate. As I said, I meant no disrespect. Since I'm agnostic, it's hard for me to answer your question about Christian women dressing in accordance to a religious icon. It may be that they identify with her in a way that doesn't constitute physical attributes, but more of a defining element of who they are religiously. I am sorry if I offended your religion, as that was not my intention. It was simply ignorance of the religion and factors of it.
    Teens-n-Twins

Answer by Teens-n-Twins at 11:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It was 2000 years ago. Thats why the "Virgin Mary" is dressed so conservatively. A man can commit adultery with his eyes no matter how you are dressed. If they are like that, they are mentally undressing you even if you are wearing 7 potato sacks! Styles change and fully covering yourself draws just as much attention as a top that shows way too much clevage. Blending in would be the way to go, as to not stir up any immoral thoughts.
    Anonymous