ALmost 3 yr old and new sibling...

My son will be 3 in June and I'm having another baby due around September. How did any of you try to get a toddler ready for a new baby? I was thinking of getting him a doll and a stroller and show him how to take care of his doll. Anyone have any ideas how to get him ready?

MattysWoWMoM

Asked by MattysWoWMoM at 3:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Know anyone else with a baby? Offer to babysit for an couple of hours, so he can see up close what happens. This way you can address situations where he wants something but you need him to wait because the baby needs you first. The doll idea is great, BTW.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• None of the people I know with kids have ones younger then mine. He's the baby baby lol
    MattysWoWMoM

Answer by MattysWoWMoM at 3:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The doll Idea is great. What I did was let me son look through the handouts the doctor gives you that show the baby at each stage of development, we took a big sister/brother class at the hospital they are free and they teach the kids how to hold the baby, what to expect and they get to see where the baby will be born, we did this with our two older children both were 3 when the babies were born (my oldest was 2 and we brought his brother home on his 3rd birthday) My boys talked to my belly and we watched a baby story, I dont even know if that is still on or not. It helped when i brought the babies home our boys both felt like it was their baby. Just remember to make them as much a part of the pregnancy as you and dad, this is his baby too :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It was amazing...introduce the little one...during the pregnancy....i did get my dd a baby doll

but it wasnt needed because she honestly KNEW what a real baby was.

you must always keep a watchful eye on them of course,

go to my journal post i had my dd2...on the 29th and u will see my 2 yr old on there too,

Let him help change the baby sometimes give him the bottles to help feed ...its fun and it comes natrual to you as a mom..and as another sibling, ;o)
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 3:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My oldest two are 2 years 11 months apart. She was one of the first people I told I was pregnant too. She went to all my doctor's appointments so she saw the baby on the ultrasound and heard his heartbeat. She also was allowed to help pick ou tht e stuff fo rthe baby.like clothes and help decorate the nursery. I was as straight forward as I could with a young child.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2009