Any of your children have friends like this....

that go and get a snack without asking, or inviting themselves over for dinner, or when you say it's time for them to go home they freakin argue with you? Or when it's time to clean up they don't want to even though they helped make the mess? Or argue with you when we say your kids can't play? Oh man, I can go on and on forever. Keep in mind this child is only 5!!

xBuriedx13

Asked by xBuriedx13 at 3:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just this morning there was a knock at our door, lol. DSS's little friend wanted to play, DH said not right now and the friend argued with DH about it!! DH was so angry about it. The friend just turned 6, and he is very disrespectful and thinks he can do what he wants when he wants... kids act as they have been taught, sadly enough.
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 3:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I am just so frustrated right now. Her mom is my friend and they are nice people, but they need to teach their children manners. Don't even get me started on their son.
    xBuriedx13

Answer by xBuriedx13 at 3:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I have learned just to tell them straight out "not right now", um "Can I go to your house for dinner" he says no and I say OK then you go home for dinner. I have to be quick on my feet, I noticed my neighbor sends her kids over here right before she has a party, so not only do I have to baby sit but I have to buy a gift later that day? Hell no!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 4:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes and they have never been allowed to come back over. My children know to pick and choose their friends wisely.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We had one little friend like that. My neighbors dd. I got along great with her mom! But this little girl drove me nuts! She was 5. In the summer we would keep the inside door open, so it was just the screen door. This little one would come over every day. At first, she knocked. Once I got to know her mom I finally let her come in and play. That was all the invitation this child needed! She stopped knocking and would just come in! I had to start locking my doors! And the arguing about going home, omg. I gave up. Just started callin her mom and telling her to please come get her kid. Luckily the mom knew the kid could be kind of...well ... pushy. So she wasn't offended. She'd just come get her. And we did some major kitchen reorganizing to keep her out of the snacks. Thankfully that's the only friend like that we've had. And we no longer live near them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I've been lucky on that front so far. My problem is that the kids are like tigers: they pounce as soon as we get outside. Literally, yesterday, I had not even shut the door behind us before they were running into the yard to play. Drives me up the wall. I just want to hang with my kids, and I can't even get outside before they show up. I feel like they have a bug in my house and wait to hear the words "Let's go outside!"
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I am firm with my children's friends. When I tell them not right now my tone of voice tells them not to argue with me. If any child came to my home and treated me with disrespect I would sit that child down and have a heart to heart with them about my home and my rules. If they didn't like it then they could either not come over or be on "restriction" from coming over for a period of time until they learn to respect me and my rules in my home.
    I won't put up with it from my children and I certainly will not put up with it from their friends. I am not a mean or commanding person - I love to have fun and make things fun for the kids, but I will not tolerate disrespect.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My family always taught me to be on my best behavior at other people's houses or I would not be welcomed back. Maybe you should take the tough approach??
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• That is a great example of bad parenting. The only way you can handle this is by letting him know that when he is at your house he needs to follow your expectations and if he can't then must leave. I would go so far as to walk him home and let the parents know why you have sent him back home.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i live on a farm i am so glad i don't have that problem...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2009