When I have a historectomy why do I want to save my overies

I am thinking about having a hysterectomy and I don't know if I need to save my overies or not for hormones. Will I still have a menstral? How is a partial Hysterectomy is that ok? I have many fibroids on my uterous and I don't know which surgery is best

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Health

• Only the doctor can decide what can stay and what can go. If not he will start you on hormonal replacement therapy.
    Menstrual? Are you asking if you'll still be menstruating? Not after the uterus is removed.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think the doctors can give you that information.....If you are having the uterus removed due to fibroids they may want to leave the ovaries because they are not affected by the fibroids. Generally, I think they try to preserve the ovaries if they can because of the hormones they produce and how loss of those hormones prematurely can affect your overall health. You won't get a period if your uterus is removed, but if you have the ovaries you might get what we refer to as "pms" even without the period. But, without the ovaries you would be going through menopause unless you take hormone replacement therapy....so talk to the doctor!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My mother had a partial, leaving the ovaries. They leave them b/c generally, as long as you still have your ovaries you don't need hormones. But it's really a decision you need to discuss with your dr., b/c it may not be an option for you to keep them. As for still having a period, no you won't. Best of luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:28 AM on Jan. 20, 2009