Pagans - How do you feel about eating meat.

I came accross something that said Pagans don't eat meat... I know I sure do! And see nothing wrong with it. I have a HUGE issue with hunting or fishing for sport though... What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Plants have feelings too...lol

But yeah, I eat meat...I'm part of nature, evolutionairly I am an omnivore. I make sure that I honor all the life forms I consume for sustenance.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think you got to eat. I've never seen anything about Pagans not eating meat...but I guess for some it would fall under "do no harm." But, giving thanks for the animals sacrifice could help cover that base, I suppose.

I don't hunt, but know people who do. However, they do so for food...not just to kill things.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I am a big meat eater... and as the pp said it could fall under " harm none", I do not hunt, but we to have friends who do and not for sport...(love venison) it's a waste and to me just down right wrong...
    I do do a simple thank you blessing while preparing meals.... it is my way of thanking the Gods for the bounty of food I have... we don't waste... that is a big no no in this family...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I eat meat. I too say a blessing before eating. My DH hunts deer for the meat. He is not Pagan but I am.
    RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We dont hunt and I would never hunt for sport.

We eat meat. We try not to eat too much but some weeks we eat it nightly.

I believe we were all put here for a purpose and for some animals their purpose was to help sustain us.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm no Pagan expert, but maybe it's a "denomination" thing?

In Buddhism... there are some denominations that are strict vegetarian --- from the monks to the laypersons. In others, not so much. There are some sects that will eat meat only for special occasions... others will eat meat, but will not slaughter animals. It just depends on how much emphasis is put on the 'do no harm' thing & how much karma will be brought back on you for all the animals you eat. The Buddhist Temple I go to is strictly veggie.

That being said, The Buddha died because of eating bad pork & the Dalai Lama MUST eat whatever food is offered to him --- so I think it's just left to interpretation.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I eat meat big time. I thank the Gods for the food. I look at it as the circle of life and count my blessings from the God and Goddess
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I have a Pagan friend who is a vegetarian... for her it comes under 'do no harm.' I'm a Buddhist and a vegetarian, to me it falls under the precept not to kill and I make an effort not to harm living things (yes, I shoo flies outside instead of swatting them too! LOL!) That being said, I don't think there is anything is either religion that states you HAVE to avoid eating meat... it's a personal choice that may be influenced by your spiritual beliefs. Does that make sense?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Pagans eat meat.

Pagans are vegetarians.

Pagans hunt and fish. 

Pagans do everything everyone else does. 

(I even know a Pagan who keeps Kosher!)

People are so diverse and Pagans are so diverse...all kinds of different beliefs and lifestyle choices. 

Many choose not to eat the flesh of another living, breathing child of the Goddess...

Many honor the Lord and Lady by hunting and consuming the wild game that were given to us. 

Paganism is personal...very personal...different things to different people.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I couldn't have said it better than MamaK88.

Personally, I have no problems with eating meat or hunting or fishing for sport or for food. I've only seen on the web the debate over "harm none" in application, not a statement of Pagans don't eat meat. Interpreting the Reed is very personal and so are dietary choices.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009