Toddlers mean to and jealous of their fathers...

My son is 25 months and has always been very jealous of his daddy. I cant even hug my fiance or go sit on his lap without my son screaming and running over to separate us. Whenever he wants something, whether its in the kitchen or a toy in his room, he wants me to get it and never lets his dad do anything for him. Sometimes he will let him, but 95% of the time its just mommy. He's good for my finace when I'm not around, but as soon as he sees me he forgets all about daddy. It really makes my fiance feel sad and sometimes gets him mad. My son will even hit or smack him if he even tries to come over and get a hug or kiss from him. I just tell him No and that Daddy just wants to love. I dont really know how to handle it, and it agravates me to have to do everything for him because he wont let his dad do it. I guess he is just a momma's boy, but what should I do?

ariel_n

Asked by ariel_n at 9:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. They grow out of it. My grandsons the same way with my dd and my youngest dd is that way with her dad. They do eventually stop doing it. Just enjoy it for now because soon he wont do it anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 9:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• When your child starts throwing a fit because daddy is doing something for him let him know that you are tired and daddy can also help him just like you. Don't allow a babe to dictate the rules in the house because that just promotes tension between you and your SO.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I disagree w/ gemgem (that doesn't happen very often). I think he is old enough to teach that this behavior is not okay. When he starts to throw a fit about daddy doing something for him or loving on you, he needs to be immediately taken to a time out until he calms down. You could say "That makes mommy sad when you push daddy away or when you are mean to daddy". He needs to learn to be empathic to others.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• To add to what I posted, you are the one who needs to immediately take him to the time out, if daddy does then it would actually cause more resentment for your son. He needs to know that you are the one that is not okay with the behavior.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2009