How often do you really CLEAN your fridge.....how do you do it....?

Mine is DONE! I usually take out everything....throw away old stuff and scrub it down inside and out about once every 8 or 9 months. I use dish soap and a rag and sometimes a little Mean Green.

Just wondered what everyone else does.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i always end up scrubbing mine every wednesday our trash day is thursday so its easy but between my kids and dh it needs to be cleaned once a week. dh will spill grape juice and walk away ( yeah i yell at him ) and my kids will do he same. so i throw things out take out the draws and scrub them clean then do all the shelfs and walls. when its all done i do a clean up on the outside and get the finger prints off ( 3 year olds ) then on thursday i do food shoping so it looks nice thursday night clean and full lol. maybe its not them maybe its me hmmmmm.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Wow....now I feel bad............lol....do you have a stainless steal....you said fingerprints, mine never has fingerprints?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i clean the inside quarterly. Which means all shelves removed drawers and so on. But when there's a mess I wipe it up then and I use lysol. Cleaning out left overs and stuff before trash day and check expiration dates? just when ever
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 9:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• no stainless steal just a reg fridge but between my dh working on trucks and my 3 year olds fingers theres prints and when i start to see them i think germs to ( cold season ) so i wipe it down with anibactrial wipes. but i use lisol inside. and check my dates on sauces and dips. and if i question it i toss it. dh is good at eating left overs but when they sit there for 4 days i toss them and tell dh it went out with the trash and i warn him on tues night tomorrow i clean fridge out so if u want it have to eat it. i have a big house hold -6- so it gets dirty quick do feel bad (:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yeah I clean out leftovers and stuff usually before trash day...but MAJOR clean ups are few and far between ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• ONCE A WEEK !! pick a day of the week that's best for you , clean your fridge with clorox desinfecting wipes they're really good!!! and just toss off any old food that may cause bad odor and another thing never keep leftovers for more than 3 days they tend to get goowy and smelly!! :)
    nat_mom_of2

Answer by nat_mom_of2 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I clean mine once a week with a 50/50 mix of water & white vinegar with a drop or two of tea tree oil added. The white vinegar is safe around food (obviously...lol) and it does disinfect. Oh, and no, the fridge doesn't smell horribly like vinegar either. I also wipe down the outside of the fridge daily b/c it needs it. To keep it handy, I fill a spray bottle & keep it under the sink & use it when needed on pretty much everything, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, counters, range top & hood, cabinets and anything else that needs a bit of a scrub. You can also scent the vinegar mix with any essential oil you like the smell of and then you have a customized cleaner (peppermint is awesome).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I clean one shelf a day in my fridge and one in my cabinets and wipe down the cabinets and fridge daily.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I clean out leftovers and wipe it down once a week, the night before the trash gets picked up. And I REALLY scrub it once every couple months. I just use Soft Scrub. Of course, I use that for almost everything though!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I use baking soda and water.Because my son is grown and out of the nest.I only clean ours two times a month.I always use the green vegie bags you know those ones that keep the fruits and vegies fresh longer.I always have everthing in containers.Like deli meats,cheese,leftovers etc.I also put couple of sheets of newspaper underneath the bottum drawers to catch the water,as our fridge doesn't have a pan under it.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009