I am 21 years old and I am 18 weeks prego and I just got my quad testing back and it said I was 1:100 of having a baby with down syndrome and my dr is very concerned....I cant get in for two weeks for the amnio...has this happened to anyone else?

PregoSommer

Asked by PregoSommer at 9:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't freak out too much, the quad tests have such a high rate of false positives its rediculus. Just wait til you can get in for the amnio and than worry about it. The amnio is the only definitive way to tell one way or the other if some chromosomal abnormality exists.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I refused to have those tests done with BOTH of my pregnancies. Because they are wrong a LOT. I read the stats back then (dont remember them now) but the false postitive results are always very high.

Dont panic yet mom....(I know easier said than done) but you are more than likely just fine....and your little one too!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It has a lot of people dont take that test cause it has false positives and false negatives... good luck to you and remember your baby will love you no matter what
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Let me ask you this, does it matter to you if the baby does have DS? You would still have the baby right? Don't do an amnio, it's a risk for miscarriage I would rather have my baby here than not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I wouldnt do an amnio either, now that I have given it some thought...there are risks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm sure she would love the baby either way, but its best to find out before if its possible, so she can learn about it, prep herself for whats to come. Learn the best way to do sertan things for the baby. They have special needs to a sertan degree that you dont do with a "normal" baby. I would wait for the amino test first though. cause the other test is wrong a lot of the time. Good luck mama!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You can learn about it now. You don't need a positive to learn about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I will still love my baby just the same if it has DS or not that is not even a question to me. I already know that he is a little boy and his name is Landon. I am extremely grateful to be pregnant because at 18 I was told I would not be able to have kids and now I am almost half way through with my first pregnancy. I will love him all the same however it Im not going to lie it will take time for me to adjust to the idea. My dr told me the amnio would be safe, but I am going to research it more.
    PregoSommer

Answer by PregoSommer at 9:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes, you will love him the same I just wouldn't do the amnio because if he does have DS it's not going to change anything and why risk his life to find out if he has it or not? He is a gift from God and God doesn't make mistakes with children, he gave you this child with or without DS because you can handle it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• First, those pre-natal tests have a VERY high false positive rate. Secondly, my son has Down Syndrome, I'm your age, if you want to ask questions, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009