What's the deal with........

Coffee and being pregnant? Every website says something different!! Can you, can't you???? Is it just the beginning of the pregnancy or what? I only have one cup of D & D every morning. Ladies?? What have you heard?

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You can have caffeine in moderation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You can have one caffeinated drink a day :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I had coffee, tea, pop all through my pregnancy, but i also only had like 1 cup of coffee, or one can of pop, or one cup of tea. and I was just fine!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 9:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Your fine- they dont recommend more than one cup a day and if your a high risk pregnancy then they want you to cut it out completely because the baby/babies would have an even higher chance of being premature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Even with my twin pregnancy, my doctor told me one cup a day was fine.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You can have it in moderation, but caffeine has been linked to miscarriage, sooooo do what you feel comfy with. A cup a day should be totally ok.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Moderation is key. I think 300 mg a day is ok, but women who habitually consumed 500 mg or more were more likely to miscarry (don't quote me on that, I'm going from memory, but there is a specific number). Something like 1 cup of coffee a day, 3 cups of Coke, or the equivalent.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Since chances of miscarriage are greater earlier in the pregnancy, I would never recommend to anyone to have any caffeine in their first Trimester as it increases the chance of miscarriage even more. Caffeine is an addictive substance and I find it wise not to expose a baby to caffeine in the womb along with any other addictive substances. I had a little in my third trimester and that was it. I thought it was cute how he'd kick more after I'd have some. I decided to have a cup of coffee and then a glass of soda one day after he was born and then breastfed him throughout the day. He was so unhappy and wound-up because of it, I really regretted my decision to have caffeine while pregnant thinking of how it affected him outside of the womb...how must it have bothered him inside? Their tiny bodies are inside of you and what you eat, they recieve. What might be moderation to you might be way too much for them.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• All three of my pregnancies- with 2 different obgyn groups have told me I can have up to 2 caffinated bev erages a day. I personally have 1 cup of coffee most days and sometimes on the weekend have that 2nd cup but never more then that. Your right, all obgyns have their own opinion.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thank you!!!
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009