Reading Early Pregnancy Test

My last period was 12/28 and I am ALWAYS at 28 days which would put my next period Monday, 1/26. For the last couple weeks I have been extremely tired and my boobs have been sore, tingly and tender and the glands are alot more prominent. Also, the area around the nipple is a bit darker than usual. I took a preg test this am and it came back negative. This is the 2nd test I've taken. There was a different though. In the first test immediately the result was negative. In this test it took a long time for the negative to read and the box that would read positive turned really pink but then about 5 mins later it was white. Did I take the test too early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I think the tests are only meant to be read up to 5 days earlier than expected period, but even then you may not get a correct result, I would wait until next week(I know its VERY hard to wait)
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• agreed, wait for a week although it will be hard, but wait and take one. you could have taken it to early. good luck mama
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 9:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm due to have mine on the 26th, and it's killing me to wait, so I will probaby take it sat. at the earliest. I think you took it too soon. With my last kid I got two neg. than finally my bfp after I was a day or two late.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The earliest a HPT can claim to tell you that you are pregnant is 5 days before your missed period. Most doctors and HPT companies will tell women to disregard any reading on the pregnancy test past the time you're instructed to read the results (i.e. if your test is supposed to be read after 2 minutes, the result at 2 minutes is correct) and disregard any other coloring that may happen after the recommended time has expired. We've all dug our pregnancy tests out of the trash a few minutes after reading them to take one more look just to make sure and it is normal for the other window to start to have some coloring in it but this is not indicative of pregnancy or that you misread the test the first time. I'd wait another week before taking the test again and/or get a test with a digital read-out so it can't be read improperly. Good luck!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The sooner to your due date of your cycle the more accurate the test results are- the way it read a negative result is not indication that it may at the next test be postive. I'd wait another 2 days and then test again with a good brand ept : ). good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• What is the best brand to use?
    Anonymous

• Your post makes me think that you may have put too much urine into the test. I think you are probably not pregnant, or have tested too early. The good news is that if you are pregnant, the levels of the hormone HCG almost doubles daily, so you should retest in a day or so. If you really are pregnant, it should show by then.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009