Anyone have ideas on why my 4yr doesn't want to go to school anymore?!

She loved school and daycare from the get go, but now we are crying and i have to carry her on to the bus, someone please help? Is this just a phase or is this something really wrong.?

SWEETART_MM

Asked by SWEETART_MM at 9:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a preschool teacher (off today my son is sick)

I would first check with her teacher, ask if everything is ok....no bullies, no trouble ect
    Make sure the teacher knows how upset she is getting and ask her to comfort her a little more, she should be willing to do that.
    I would keep an eye open but if you trust the school then she is probably just showing some separation anxiety.
    We have a 4 year old little girl who cries everyday and I can promise you she is just fine, she just misses mommy.
    Just keep reasuring her that she is fine and will learn and have fun.....it should pass.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I hated school when I was a kid, I was scared and had a lot of anxiety. One thing my mom did was buy me something special (it was an Alladin lamp necklace that had bubbles in it.) She told me if I was scared to just hold on to my "special thing" and I wouldn't be scared anymore. Totally cheesy but it did work for me.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would think it might be just a phase. Has something changed in her life that might cause to want to be with you more. I would try positive reinforcement and instead of punishing her or forcing her see if you can get her to go by rewarding her.

I would also talk to her and see if there is something that is bothering her. She should be able to tell you something.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think it's just a phase. Have you sat down with her to find out what her "fears" are. Is it another student or possibly the Teacher corrected her and she took it to heart. 4yr olds are very sensitive, as long as you reassure her that School is fun and necessary her confidence should boost. Good Luck with the poor thing :o)
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009