my son is going to be 8 months old on the 22nd, when should I put him in a highchair, and when should i let him try to feed himself?

He sits up on his own, and thats how we feed him, or we'll sit him in our laps and feed him. he's grabed the spoon out of my hands and fed him self before. should i let him do it that way or take the spoon away and make him use his fingers?

russian-mommy

Asked by russian-mommy at 9:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start putting him in the high chair now. I would also put the spoon on the high chair and let him decide what he wants to do. It can be messy, but it is the only way they are going to learn. I know that with my kids we used to cut food up into small pieces and if they used their fingers that was fine. If they tried to use the spoon that was even better.

I know my kids usually just used their hands even for things like mashed potatoes.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Let him do it either way . My 9 mo old won't use a spoon she likes her hands.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• All you can do is try & see how it goes :) We have video of DD trying to feed herself at 7 or 8mo.. Just be ready for a mess when u let him do it... until he is a year old food is just for practice, all of his nutrience should come from breastmilk/formula :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my dd is 8 months old and she has been in the high chair for about 2 months now and she is doing fine .she cant feed her self yet but she can pick up toddler puffs now she just started doing that .yoru son should be eating baby food so why not put him in a highchair
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I just wasent sure. I never really thought of it to be honest. I hope it done make me a "bad mother" but I'v just always held him or sat him up to feed him. Wheres a good place to get one? and what kind of foods should i give him? should i try todler food yet?
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 10:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2009