How to break her from copying..?

My neice is 4, my nephew is 3....anytime he does ANYTHING to play or be mischievious, she immediately has to be doing what he is.... sometimes she copies the adults around her too. or if her brother is getting attention from the adults she wants to be doing what he's doing to get the attention too. i get that it's a jealousy thing....but when he has a toy she usually tries to get it away from him, sometimes in a very mean way. how can we stop her from this incessant need to copy him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's wanting attention. And i'v heard that this is a way for kids to learn how to do somethings. So when she starts copying then start doing something that will teach her something good. like if she's doing what you do, then throw away trash, pick up toys, or sweep the floor, that will teach her to clean. Or start singing the ABC's or a lullaby song. And as for when she's getting into trouble cause another one is, i would correct the leader, then correct her. if your correct the leader first then maybe she will realize, "hey, he got into trouble, then I did... this is a bad thing" good luck!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 10:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would say that if she is taking things away then you need to punish her. She is old enough to understand what she is doing and knows that if she does this she is going to get attention. I would say that if she is misbehaving then you need to try putting her in a time out and ignoring her. I think you also have to make it clear that she is her own person and she should do her own things and not worry about everyone else.

This is a very hard thing to do, you just have to stick with it. I know my DD is the same way and although we have had many conversations with her, we are consistently having to remind her that her brothers need attention as well.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2009