• In the Spotlight:

My mother-in-law is trying to give away our dog, how do I approach her?

February 2008 we got a house (rent-to-own) from a friend. We had every intention of buying so my husband got a puppy (red nose pit). She is beautiful, fun, friendly and great with kids. In Oct we decided we didn't like the house and our friend agreed to release us from the contract so we moved. Our apartment won't allow pits so my father-in-law agreed to take the dog. He loves her. She came into heat (husband doesn't want to get her fixed yet) and MIL got mad bc she had to clean up after the dog. She said if Coconut stays then we have to get her fixed and my husband agreed to. Now two months later she's telling us to find the dog a home or she's taking it to the pound. My husband is upset but won't say anything bc he avoids confrontation and I don't know how to address my MIL and I don't want to tell my daughter that her Nana is giving away her dog. We see the dog everyday as we live only 3 minutes apart. What do I do?!

JEKA1016

Asked by JEKA1016 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Is there anyone else you can board the dog with for a few more months....a friend or different family member?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'd tell her that you agreed to take the dog and have her fixed so she can stay....so what's the problem now? Why does she want to give her away?

Sorry you're going through that. I've got a Pittie and I know how hard it is to find homes for them. People are so blinded by ignorance.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well right now it is his mothers responsibilty which isn't fair for her. I would either find a new place for the dog to live, or you guys find a new place to live. Really thats the only options you have. How would you feel if you were in HER shoes. Taking care of and cleaning up after a dog that you didn't want and its not yours.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• could you talk with your fil or have your husband talk with the fil since he knows he loves the dog himself and have him put her in her place. i don't think there is much options you can do here. either find another place for the dog or you get another place. my husband pit was let loose by one of his roommates cause he wasn't around much when my husband was dating me. well so he thought. we wonder if the dog is dead or someone is treating him good.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• See if you can find another place for your dog, even if it means paying a boarding fee.

Answer by Bmat at 12:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I told my FIL today that we're talking to friends to see if there is a good home for her and he said he is putting up fliers first come first served. anything to make the MIL happy. I understand his point of view but now she has him not even giving us a chance to find the dog a good home and I'm scared she's gonna end up somewhere bad. I'm so frustrated bc my husband just started a new job where they hold 2 weeks of pay so he has not gotten a check yet and I only work once a month (Reserve). So we really can't afford a boarding fee. I'm so frustrated but I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow. The our dog's father's owner works at the vets office so I'll call her and maybe she can help find a good home. Thank you for all of the comments!
    JEKA1016

Answer by JEKA1016 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think you are being the unreasonable one. Did your MIL know that she would still have this dog a year later? A year is too long to ask someone to take care of a dog for you. It is no longer your dog, in my opinion. You say that you see the dog every day...Do you buy it's food, clean up the poop in the backyard? Take her to the vet? Train her? Scrub the carpet after she comes into heat? I would guess no since you posted that your MIL does that.

I once helped out my friend by taking in her great dane for a weekend...which turned into 3 months. During that time, the dog did $3500 worth of damage to my house and possessions, which my friend didn't have the funds to replace or restore. Was that fair to me? I told my friend that the dog had to go...another 3 months and another $3500 for a dog that wasn't mine? No thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2009