Sleeping problems with 9-1/2 month old

After an ear infection then a few colds since Nov, my now 9-1/2 month old will not sleep through the night. When she was sick she was up all night screaming, so I we spent a lot of time holding her, sleeping with her in our arms. We feared she may have have gotten used to being held, but the last 3 weeks she has slept great...Until last week.
Now she is up on an hourly, sometimes more than that, and is constantly inching herself up so far in the crib that she gets stuck and wakes up crying, then screaming. If we "let her cry it out", she gets so upset she throws up ALL OVER. I don't know what to do. We have tried everything, picking her up and letting her cry (scream, I should say). She has a binky, but this does nothing to help. My doc said I've spoiled her and that I need to tough it out and let her cry herself to sleep, even if that means sleeping in her own vomit! Eww! Don't criticize, help!

ccahoney

Asked by ccahoney at 10:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a similar problem a while ago but it stemmed from sleeping away from home over Christmas. I'm not a fan of a screaming child - although I agree that sometimes crying it out is a good thing. You might try making her bed more comfortable...maybe it's a comfort issue since she was used to being cuddled. I ended up putting a down blanket under my childs sheet in her crib - and this solved our problem INSTANTLY. It's warmer and softer than the crib matress. Try something like this and see if it helps.

Good luck - it's tough when they cry and can't tell you why!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2009