Sippy Cup Transition

When did you transition your child to a sippy cup and how did you do it? We're struggling getting our DD to not bang and throw her sippy after only a few drinks.

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine is getting ready to be 8months in 2 days, and he has a sippy cup. it was easy, get one with the rubber tops and one that is leak free. Good luck.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 10:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• lol unfortunately thats what happens for a bit, mine is 4 1/2mo and i want her off the bottle completely by 12mo -- doesnt even drink outta hers yet, she will suck on it but if theres anything in it she wont do it... and my friend has a 9mo old who will drink anything but her formula outta it.
    ktlindquist

Answer by ktlindquist at 10:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The first time I attempted the sippy cup was 6 months. She would throw it back at us. After a few months she torn the nipple off her favorite bottle and refused to drink from anything else and we could not find a replacement nipple. My husband finally took her to the store and let her pick out a sippy cup. When they came home she started drinking from it immediately. I would say she was about 9 month then.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 10:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well my dd took the cup early she was like 3 months and yeah she will play with the cup but keep giving it to her
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Take it slow. Like everything, they will explore everything and have to figure out what it is supposed to do. Every child is different. With my two older children, I didn't have too many problems getting them to accept and use the cup. My youngest, now, he is a whole other story. He absolutely hated the bottle. To get him used to the sippy cup was not easy. All three were given the sippy cup before their first birthday.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We started slow at 6 months with water and watered down juice. He hated it at first, so we just gave it to him empty as a teether until he was used to it. He loves it now (7 months) but doesn't have the coordination to hold it himself yet. I think what you're dealing with is totally normal and just something you have to deal with for a while.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my son is 10 months old and i did not want him drinking the bottle at all past 12 months. so i switched him.In less than a week. when my daughter was 6 months the doc were pressering me to start her on the cup. My son has this cup called NUK and he likes it its the only cup he will take to go to sleep for naps or bedtime. I am just glad i dont have to fight with him to get him off of the bottle
    lwoolsey

Answer by lwoolsey at 11:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009