How can I get my 3 year old to calm down?!

My 3 year old runs around the living room all day long, like it's a zoo!
I have 3 kids, and by the end of the day, I'm completely exhausted just from listening to her.
She is non-stop talking, screaming, running around.
I'm at my wits end with her, and the only thing I feel I can do, is to stay in another room away from her.
She's literally driving me insane and my husband keeps telling me that I just need to stay in the living room with her. Easy for him to say, because he's not the one that has to listen to it all day long!

I need some tips/help please :(

gumby11883

Asked by gumby11883 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• make her have quiet time foa an hour or two every day?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Never shout. That usually just adds to the noise and models shouting as normal communication. When she is running around crazy, I would stop her, get down on my haunches to her eye level, and in a calm voice, have a firm conversation with her. Set limits, tell her what the consequence is if she crosses the limit, and be very consistent by giving the consequence EVERY time. It will be super difficult for a period of time, but all worth it when the behavior subsides. Point out the behavior, remind her that if she continues the behavior there will be a consequence, then straight to consequence if she continues.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Does she eat sweetened foods & juices?? Eliminate them. Does she have favorite TV shows or Movies?? Tape them! How about Baby Einstein DVD's? Borrow them from the Library. They have calming classical music & puppets. My Son loved them. I think she also needs some quiet time. She is probably over tired & wacky from it. How about putting her in a stroller in the house at nap time, give her a favorite snugly toy & wheel her around for a bit. She may fall asleep. That's what I did with my Son who is like a rocket & he napped every day for 2 hours until he turned 5. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2012

• DD sounds like she might be a busy-body kiddo! Little ones like that just need structured activity throughout the day. Try to maintain a consistent schedule and communicate what will happen next every 1/2 hour. Have activities planned that she can do on her own during the down times of the day so that you can have 20 mins of peace. Create a busy cart with different items so you can redirect her to the cart when she begins the high energy negative behavior. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2012

• does she eat artifical dyes, preservatives in foods & juices?? Eliminate them

http://feingold.org/overview.php

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Have you started yet teaching her about authority and obedience to it? She's plenty old enough to understand those concepts. I have grandchildren who've had it down since they were about 2. Self-control is a learned trait; it is not inherent, so you have to teach that to her. The goal should be that you tell her one time to stop and she does it. If she doesn't do it, there should be some painful consequences to help her see the importance of being obedient to your authority the next time you tell her to do something. If you hide in another room, she has little chance of learning these valuable lessons. Assuming she will go to kindergarten at 5, you don't have a whole lot of time left to teach her the importance of obeying authority, and she is likely to have a lot of trouble when she gets to school. Remember that you are supposed to be in charge of your home, and it is totally up to you to see that it happens!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• I'm not sure if you're just tired from parenting (which can be exhausting for an invested parent) or what. For instance, could your husband be in the living room with her (if he's in the home at that point)? Does he not see the validity of you needing a break?
    It can be hard to give a young child the attention she needs (with my sons, who are 3yo twins, it is mostly just reflecting them or "seeing" them that they need, but it takes actual attention & seeing, really hearing them & reflecting what they say so they experience themselves as heard & understood. So I can get tired. My husband also gets tired when he is doing a lot of the parenting.)
    I'm not sure I'd seek to impose authority & obedience, especially depending on the situation. It may be more valid to notice the need & find more acceptable ways to meet it. An indoor toddler-sized trampoline may be a big help. Some tactile stuff. Stories. Rather than commands to "Stop."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Maybe getting some outside time everyday for an hour or two might help her expend some of that energy. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Don't you wish that you had her energy?

What about preschool? It sounds like you just need a break

Do you have a friend, relative or neighbor who will trade childcare with you?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2012

• give her activities to do sit her down and tell her that you and her both need quiet time and put in a movie or something see enjoys watching; we have art supplies for our boys and coloring books, reading books and everything readily available and they know that they need to sit and do these things at least for an hour a day; you may also might consider getting her into preschool
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2012