My 15 month old daughters behavior... please, please give some advice! Idk what to do!

My daughter will look for something to throw when she is mad. She also will slap or pinch my husband and i when she is mad. I don't know what to do for discipline. Im not sure she is old enough to understand yet, but i want her to know that there are consequences to her actions and i most DEFINITELY don't want her thinking its okay to disrespect us by hitting and pinching. I just don't know how to go about it quite yet cuz she is still little. My MIL saw her smack me and asked if i ever spank her. I was spanked when i was little but im not sure i want to move right to that as a way of disciplining. I want to find another method that works for my daughter cuz i don't think spanking is necessary.
How do i discipline a child who is still a "baby"?
In advance, thanks to those who take the time to help me with this!

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At this age, redirection is a good tool. She's old enough to recognize firm facial features (No pinch! With a frown). At this age, they don't have the verbal skills to really vocalize their frustration. That said, I completely understand your desire to get some sort of discipline started.

So, when she gets mad you can firmly tell her No! whatever and then she can maybe sit in her crib for a minute or two. Just something to connect the behavior with the consequences in her mind.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• You need to have a "naughty" spot, when she hits or pinches you bend down and look her in the eyes,, say we don't hit, you are to sit here for 1 minute,,, then pick her up and place her in the spot, when she tries to get up,, say one time and one time only your to sit here for one minute, no hitting,, you probably will have to put her back about 100 times, but if you do it each and every time (no giving in) she will begin to understand you mean business, When she sits still tell her thank-you and each and every time she pinches, or hits she will have to sit in the spot,, don't yell or scream,, just place her there,, I promise this will work..I can't imagine why people think hitting or spanking is a good way to teach a child NOT to hit.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• BrawnwynII- You don't think putting her in the crib as a punishment could be confusing to her when i put her there for nap and bedtime? One time she threw herself on the ground, rolling around screaming so i put her in her crib to calm down, to let her know that by her acting that way is only going to give her the opposite of what she is wanting and that's not getting my attention at all. But then i worried that when i put her down for nap and bedtime that she would think she was in trouble.
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• The shock of me saying "No!" or "ah,ah,ah!" LOUDLY was enough to stop my Son in his tracks. The more I used loud verbal reinforcement, the less my Son did things that he shouldn't. I do NOT spank my children.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• Kimigogo- i been watching that supernanny and I really like the calm down corner as a method but im not sure if she is too little for that right now.
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• I would find another spot other than where she sleeps,, perhaps a playpen?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• When i get on to her i usually say "ah ah!" really strong and firm but now she does these things because of that reaction i give her. She will look right at me and watch me while she tosses something, waiting for me to react.
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• No she isn't too young,, the longer it goes on the longer it will take you and your husband to break it. I do think she is too young for a spanking,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• I did try putting her in the calm down corner, but she got so upset she threw up and it made me feel awful. Like she was confused and I was hurting her feelings lol
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2012

• I agree with putting her in a "time out" space - but I never made it for a specific length of time, I made it based on their actions "stay on the step/in your room until you can calm down/speak nicely/share your toys/etc." It does take some time for them to understand and the first time you did it she probably was confused and had her feelings hurt. But if you are consistent she will start to understand and mine generally started responding to a firm "No" because they didn't want to have to go to their room.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2012