Mother's Rights

Does anyone know from experience the mothers true rights when dealing with custody? I've been working with my ex since July to try and get a custody agreement together between us for our 14 month old son. Everything is ready to be signed off on now, but now that it is I am really skeptical about signing it because the more I read it, the more it seems like it caters to "the father" and there is nothing in there about me, the mother... I wasn't all to impressed with the lawyer I went with, at first they were all about fighting for me but it seemed as if time went on it became moreso of what the father said would be what went, almost like they didn't want to give me the time of the day and just went with whats easiest.

Cadens_Mommy118

Asked by Cadens_Mommy118 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• I would defanitely not sign something you are not comfortable with. This is YOUR son we are talking about. Find a new lawyer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Now that its time to sign, well if I choose to, I am just really skeptical because I feel like nothing is catered to me. What do you ladies think if you've dealt with this before? Sorry this is so long but any advice is realllyyy appreciate.
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I can either withdrawal from my current lawyer, get my left over money and go with another, take it straight to court and get it settled. I actually went and spoke with another lawyer last week and showed them what we have now and he pretty much said the same that it all caters to his dad but he couldn't go to indepth because of the fact I've already retained and have a lawyer.
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Good Luck is all I can say. I think I'll be going though the same thing very very soon.
    shellxobabie

Answer by shellxobabie at 11:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well the deal with it is, his dad works shift work. He never has a consistent schedule and pretty much it changes every week. For instance this week, he works night shift, Monday and Tuesday, has off Wednesday thru Friday and works day shift Saturday thru Monday. According to the current custody agreement, "The father shall see the child on his days off", so therefore this particular week he will get him Wednesday thru Friday, and I'd get him the whole weekend. I want my son to spend time with his father, but I just feel like thats alot too, and if we have to keep a schedule of his dads work schedule to know whats going on I can only imagine how it is for my son... I don't want to take my son away from his dad, I just think consistancy is important in a childs life.
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i agree with you completely. Thats almost the exact problem I have. Except now hes going to need to get a second job to pay his mortgage, bills, and child support. So now he'll never see him. I dont think its right but he left me... I know im supposed to be helping you, but how do I go about all this...first i need a lawyer i guess? you can message if you want. as for your situation.. i tihnk i could help more if i new more details...
    shellxobabie

Answer by shellxobabie at 11:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009