Pagan Reading for Beginners

Has anyone read
1.) Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
2.)To Ride A Silver Broomstick: New Generational Witchcraft
3.)To Stir a Magick Cauldron: A Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring

All by Silver Ravenwolf

I've heard really good things about the books but negative things about her... Have you read these and would they be good for someone just starting out? There is no local coven and I really want to learn all I can. I can get these as a set of 3 for $30... Is it worth it? Do you suggest anything else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Solitary Witch has to be her best by far in my eyes. For a beginner reading either To ride a Silver Brookstick is alright or To stir a Magick Cauldron the two of them are very simular. I read both and wish I would have just picked one. Solitary Witch is a more in depth book that has a lot more information. Ravenwolf in my opinion can be on the airy side of the craft but she is redeaming herself through solitary witch. Get books for specifics like one just for Tarot. One for candle magick ect...
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• they were okay, I liked scott cunningham better when i use to study wicca.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The set for 30 bucks is great especially for solitary witch. Solitary Witch is a great refrence book and itself is worth the price.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I know Hazel, Ravenwolf likes to repeat herself in her beginner books for my taste. Cunninham is a good one too. He had a lot of good books. He is missed all the time.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I've read 2 and 3...have them signed by her actually. I met her at a book signing and she was hillarous.

I also suggest reading Scott Cunningham's books. He passed away in the 80s but his books are still some of the best around. They're all good...I have quite a few and they're easy reads.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I studied Wicca and read Scott Cunningham stuff. He's really good.
    Ive not read the books you mentioned but have heard not so good things about the author as well.

I also read stuff by Patricia Telesco(she's practices kitchen witchery mainly). She's good.

I also went on Amazon and bought a couple of books that werent recommended to me so I could get various viewpoints.

OHHH and Idiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft(or Paganism) is great too.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would avoid anything written by $ilver Ravenwolf.

Scott Cunningham is better for beginners. He doesn't promote lieing to your parents (like $R teaches in Teen Witch) nor does he promote bainful magick like she does.

Also Stewart and Janet Ferrar are good.

Margot Adler

Patricia Telesco

to a certain extent Z Budapest

all better than $ilver Ravenwolf.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Also, there are lots of Pagan groups here on CM...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I do not like Ravenwolf for the very reasons that MamaK88 stated. I don't recommend any of her books or products.

I do recommend Buckland and Cunningham if your looking for Wicca info. Both authors cite an amazing collection of books that are well worth reading after theirs.

I also recommend: Paganism: An Introduction to Earth- Centered Religions by River Higginbotham. It's a workbook that helps one decide what your beliefs are while introducing one to the broad spectrum of Paganism. It's a great study book for anyone.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Cunningham, Ferrar, Buckland, Adler, Budapest (okay I like the classics)

I would NEVER use Ravenwolf. Not only does she overemphasize spellwork as opposed to spirituality (I like a more balanced approach), she treats the gods like they are just one more tool for casting. Athame, chalace, wand, god, censer, ...
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 2:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009