Praying for patience

All my life I have been told you shouldn't pray for patience, that you will be given trials and tribulations to 'practice' with...my question, is this: If you have heard this also, is this in the bible anywhere or is this just something that has been passed down from one believer to another?

tlstaz6543

Asked by tlstaz6543 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i have heard the opposite. we are asked to pray for patience in all that we need it in. patience with our kids or others that may harm you or go against you. i mean how much trail and tribulations does and 8 yr old have. some people have the easy life. i think it is either given or learned but if you need it more at one point i would just pray for it then
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• great question! apparently it isnt drama filled enough to envoke any answers.

i think its passed down. the bible does state that he has given you a measure of faith for all of your days (romans 12:3). it also says her has given you strength to equal your days (deut. 33:25) if you have faith to keep your trust in Him, i think that gives you patience to endure whatever your going through. same thing with strength. He made you, He knew what was going to happen to you before it happened. and He is a loving God who will not leave you out there to "sink or swim" on your own. i think He will equip you with whatever you need to make it through, patience included. if you look in the book of Proverbs, there are numerous passages about wisdom and patience. James 1:17 also says every good and perfect gift is from above. we know it is good to have wisdom and patience. since it is good, it comes from above (HIM).
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• also-
    i dont understand the stigma of God punishing His children, or making them suffer w/o any hope or any help to prove they love Him. i believe we have to go through things, i belive there are people who are martyrd for the name of Christ. but that doesnt mean they dont feel any love, peace, patience, joy, or hope in that time. but so many Christians (it seems to me) believe that way. go figure.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It is in the Bible! (James 1:3; Romans 5:3-5)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The trials aren't a form of punishment, they are a testing of our faith. Faith is like a muscle, you must exercise it often.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Paitence is already instilled in us When we accept Jesus in our hearts. Like some one very wise has told me before, Paitents is a seed that needs time to grow. Asking God to help our seed of patience grow makes sense rather than asking Him to give us something He has already given us. We can ask for the tools to allow us to be patient...which will allow us to grow. Patience is just apart of the many gifts from God. I;d rather Gods patience live in me, then to keep asking for it over and over again, and feel like i am deprived of it for a moment some how... gosh, hope i make sense.. :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Personal experience. I prayed that god would give me patience this last summer while I was pregnant. we ended up having to move, and live with our inlaws...and then wait months to find a house that was fit for our family. Not to mention was pregnant, and they hardly turned on their air conditioners. I was hot, cranky, and tired. Never again! Thanks for the life lesson God. but i got it! no more trials necessary ;)
    HollieSpirit

Answer by HollieSpirit at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• This is a really good question. For a long time I prayed for patience and I can tell you from personal experience, I gained patience significantly through trials. The more trials I have, the more it allows my faith to grow. The more my faith grows, the more I realize the Lord will provide. The more faith I have that the Lord will provide, the more patient I am with life. The more patient I am with life, the more clearly I see that the Lord knows all and has PERFECT timing....I don't need to rush a thing, it's when I try to put things in my own timing that things get all messed up.
    I DO believe you can pray for patience, but I believe some things are better off experienced than given, patience, being one of them.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• God teaches us patience through our trials. You can't learn anatomy with out taking the class or reading a book, right? Well you can't learn patience without your patience being tested. God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, and although I can't think of where the verse is, I know that is in the Bible! I don't pray for patience, I pray for understanding of other people and other ways of life. I find it easier that way!
    redneckstepmom

Answer by redneckstepmom at 3:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers....I've never been much on patience and it's being tested now more than ever due to a situation that I have no choice in but waiting on God's time and not mine. I am definitely learning. :)
    tlstaz6543

Answer by tlstaz6543 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2009