How do you manage 3 kids and housework and still have time for you?

mommyofthree166

Asked by mommyofthree166 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My little ones have chores. Just light things that make a difference. They clean their toys, put away their own clothes (even if they don't do it right), wash the kitchen table, feed the cats, etc.

I don't have a schedule for what I do but I have goals. For example, it's a goal of mine to mop the floors once a week, wash the dishes everyday (doesn't have to be a particular time of day), get at least 1 load of laundry washed, dryed, and put away, etc.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Keep everyone on a routine. Have the somewhat older kids help or entertain the little ones
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We have 3 boys, 12, 6 and 5, they all have chores, must have their room straightened before they get in bed. No toys allowed in the living room unless they are passing through with a car/truck while they're playing. The outside of the house has to be kept picked up as well if they have been out playing. No one comes in until its all put away. They all put their own laundry away, I fold it and then hand it out. They know the routine, as the last poster said, routine.... They are going to have to do it when they get older so they are learning as they go. We also try to balance it out with fun too, movies, going off roading, etc... I think thats the key. Hope that helped!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I dont sleep and save the night for me lol
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well you can make time I have 5 kids ages 16,13,10,3,1. I also work fulltime and work out for and hour after work. We all help around the house with cleaning,cooking mind you that we also run around with the kids and there sport we have made it work for 17 years, we all just help each other and when it come to my time I get my mom or mother in law to watch the kids we try to get away as much as we can on trips or just 1 night at a nice hotel and dinner I always make time to get my hair done get a pedicure even a massage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Very carefully. Actually now that my children are older they help with choirs around the house so I am not doing all the house work my self. My children are also in school all day so that helps. I own my own business so some days it is very hard to get things done.

My husband is also very helpful with everything as well.

I try to set certain days for certain things. For example I always clean the bathroom on Tuesday and Thursday. Sometimes if it really needs it we will clean it on Saturday as well. I think you just have to realize that it is okay to take time for yourself and do not feel guity about it,

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• koolest_mom_of4 :
    I dont sleep and save the night for me lol

I was going to say the same thing!!
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I am a mom of four two teenage daughters 15, 18 and twin boys who are four. I have my kids on a schdule. While my daughters are in school I do all the chores, (they should be doing some I keep my boys busy we go to the park, playdates etc. I nap with my twins first I read to them and we sleep. I nap for about an hour the twins nap for two. Once my husband is home from work, after my kids are fed I will go to my room for quiet time, I am a member of a MOPS group which I have support and made some wonderful ladies.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I get up at 5am...they don't get up until 6:30 or so. That's my "me" time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We have three also. 6, 9 & 10. We have a chore chart that we enforce and they follow. And I agree that routine, persistence, rewards and consequences are the big keys to keeping a balance. And we also set time aside for family nights where we play games, watch a movie with some popcorn, talk, go out to eat or whatever we decide because taking a break from the routine to have some down and relazing time is just as important. Hope this helps!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009