i'm interested in knowing how many of you who had an epidural were also given pitocin or pit drip (to induce or speed up labor)? how many of you who had both went in not wanting the epi?

rachelo

Asked by rachelo at 11:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was induced (had pitocin) AND i wanted the epidural. I was in labor for 8 hours.. ( was 4cm when induced) I had a healthy alrert baby and do not regret my decisions.. and i would do it all over again.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was induced and had the drip pitocin...Things didnt work that well for me, I got to 4 centimeters and stopped. They ended up taking my son C-Section...But my son was born very alert and healthy. Good luck!
    Mom2beX2

Answer by Mom2beX2 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was induced w/the PIctocin drip thing.... I also had an epidural-with all 3 children..... The Epidural wore off partially through delivery of my 1st child, but stayed in full swing well after our other 2 children were born....... I was in labor or in the Deilvery room for around 6hrs. or so w/my first 2 and a little longer w/my 3rd.... Because, we tried to go w/just breaking of the waters-did that around 12:30pm and finally did the pictocin thing @ 4:30pm and she was born around 10:30pm.... The older two were started around 7am, water broke around 9am and drip in by noon they were born by 3:30 and 4:30ish pm..... Only pushed like 3 times for each child-when they were ready, they were ready!!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Oh and even if I didn't want the Epidural-I would have been medicated anyway-for my heart, to not strain it too much...... But I did want it!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was induced with pitocin and did not want an epidural. After 10 hours of labor and I stopped dilating the doctor decided it was best if I had a c-section. They gave me some information and gave some time to think about it. I decided that it would be best for the c-section and they gave me an epidural right away. Turns out the doctor made a very good decision. My son could have possible died if I had tried to give birth naturally.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i had pitocin because my water broke but no contractions.. I was on it for 27 hours before i got to 10. I got the epi when i was about 4cm. When i got to 10 i pushed for 3 hours with no progress, they took my daughter C-Section and she was alert healthy and happy! The only thing that i think sucked about the pitocin was you go from 0-60..meaning you dont feel anything then all of a sudden feel everything!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• With my oldest I was induced with pitocin, and didn't want the epidural. I ended up getting it, and wish I hadn't it didn't it only worked on the right half of my body. 2nd wasn't induced no drugs, I will refuse both for this baby as well.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was given pitocin with my first born, she was two weeks late. I refused the epidural and when I decided I wanted it too late! Once given the pitocin, I went right into labor.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i knew that i wanted the epidural going in to it. And since i had this horrible rash they wanted to induce me. when the next day (checked in that night before) i started contracting on my own so they waited for the pitocin but after a while and no dropping they finally used it to speed up the contractions and get him to drop some and he came out without any problems.
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was induced with pitocin and after more than 20 hours of strong contractions i got the epidural and was so glad i did. After that everything was so easy I still didn't have my son for a few hours but when he was ready I only pushed 3 times and he was there, alert and healthy. I don't regret the epidural, I never had any problems from it. When I first got there I wasn't sure about it.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009