Can I bake a potato in a glass baking dish since I don't have any foil to wrap it in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes. You can also poke holes in it and cook it in the microwave.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• you don't have to even wrap it. the onyl thing the wrapping does is keep the skin soft. so if you don't mind a crunchy skin go ahead and bake it without foil. make sure to poke holes in it thoug
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I usually don't put mine on anything at all or even wrap it. I just wash the potato, poke holes in it and put it right on the rack in the oven. It comes out just fine! And then you don't have to wash the baking dish!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• oh CarieP I tried to just pop it in the oven and it literally popped while it was in there! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• thats happened to me before. LOL you just have to make sure you don't leave it in too long.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Did you know that when you wrap it in foil it really isn't a "baked" potato, it is considered "steamed". Just so everyone knows It you want a true baked potato, just rub a little crisco on the outside and bake. YUM!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Heck, I never even poke holes in mine, i just throw them in. (Although that has resulted in an exploding tater once or twice when I forgot to get them out in time!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I never use foil when baking potatoes. I scrub them, dry them, poke holes in one side with a fork, rub them lightly with canola oil and then sprinkle them all over with kosher salt (or coarse salt). They turn out light and fluffy on the inside and the skins are delicious and crispy. Yum. (I craved baked potatoes during my first pregnancy. LOL)

A good way to microwave potatoes when in a hurry: (but it does require foil) is to scrub and dry them, poke holes in them. Cook on high 7 minutes for medium sized potatoes. Test for doneness with an oven mit. Squeeze the sides and see if it feels soft throughout. If not, cook in one minute intervals testing after each to prevent overcooking. When done, wrap in foil and allow them to "steam" this is important because it helps to add moisture to the potaoto that the microwave zaps.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You shouldn't need to wrap it to begin with. Just put it directly on the oven rack, after you pierce the skin a couple times. If you're in a hurry, you can nuke them first and finish in the oven...I personally don't like them just microwaved without putting in the oven or on the grill.

If you like the skin, you can rub the outside of hte potato with a little olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt before baking. Bake at 375*f rather than the more traditional 350*...it will take slightly less time and the skin with crisp up quite nicely.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I have baked potatoes in the oven with nothing before. It doesn't change anything. Just throw them in on the rack and bake as usual.
    joycestew2002

Answer by joycestew2002 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009