what would you do?

my son who just turned 17 yesterday wants his very own dog. we had gotten a dog 2 yrs before and then i got my poodle and then i married and my husband brought his boxer. it was hard on me having 3 dogs in a small house. they after a yr of having jack we started to get notices from the city about our dog barking and getting a fine. my dad would let the dog out when i wasn't there. so i felt we had to get rid of him cause the fine would be $2500. now my son wants another dog. a german shepard which i like but don't like the thought of another dog as before. my son really does deserve it. i told him when he returned from his mission i would get him it then but should i just get him it now? they shed a lot and even though we have a bigger house the yard is not that big. he goes on his mission in 2 yrs. i don't want to disappoint him but i would be the one living with the 3 dogs.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Hun, he goes on a mission in 2 years (when he's 19) so when he comes home he'll be 21. I would honestly wait and let him get a dog of his own when he finds a place of his own.

I know you want to do what makes your kids happy, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Maybe if one of your current dogs passes away before the mission trip is all said and done, you can get him the dog.

Animals are a huge responsibility. Would he be paying for the vet visits while he was on the trip or would it be coming out of your pocket? Just something to think about. Anything can happen and you may get a dog that ends up with an unforseen health problem.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Check with you city laws. Two dogs may be the limit in your county. Also, explain to him that a dog is a lifetime commitment and you can't just get rid of a dog because he doesn't fit your routine anymore. Explain to him that he does deserve a dog but you cannot take care of him while he goes on his mission. Also, can you afford three dogs right now? German Sheppard's eat A TON! Maybe you could convince him to volunteer with a GS rescue group where he may get the opportunity to foster. Working with a rescue organization will not only let him take care of animals separate from your two, but also give him a sense of pride and he will keep that experience with him forever, knowing that he helped save lives.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Since you already had to get rid of a dog, it seems that a third would not be a good idea. He goes on his mission in two years and that would mean a good while when he wouldn't be able to take care of his dog. He should wait until he has a house of his own and then get a dog.

Answer by Bmat at 12:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• we have a german shepherd and i have to tell you they dont eat much..there intestines are sensitive.they do shed,and they are a lot of work...but they are easily trained smart dogs.they are very protective to the family.he howls at the cayotes in the summer. they talk...i do have to say that i have to watch her with certain people.she doesnt like everyone.but they are good family dogs that have 100% for the family....
    blsource

Answer by blsource at 2:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009