can you make meatballs in the crockpot starting with raw meat?

i dont want to use pans but if i have to, then i will.

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I googled it and it appears that many people do just put them in raw. Problems seem to be that they stick together or fall apart, and that the grease would still be in the crockpot. So a recommendation for nicer quality is to brown first to get a certain flavor and color, and to render off some of the fat. If you use a very low fat meat or poultry though, that wouldn't be a problem another solution I saw was to get the sauce hot first. As far as safety, I couldn't find anything against it. Someone said they'd heard that the crockpot wouldn't get the meat hot fast enough, but somebody else remarked that when you put spareribs in the oven at 200 that they cook well. So there is all I could find on it. I guess for the sake of the flavor I'd go ahead and brown first, based on what I just told you.

Answer by Bmat at 12:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't know. I make them in a pan first, then transfer them to the Crock Pot with the sauce to cook all day. I make a Crock Pot meatloaf and start out with raw meat, so I guess meatballs wouldn't be too much different.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would definitely break down and cook them first. It seems like if you didn't it would be way too greasy in there to be good even if they did stick together.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i always do, last time i made spaghetti, (i used a pan on the stove, but same general meaning) i put the sauce in the pan and got it boiling then i justs added the meatballs one at a time, they were amazing :)
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• to get them to stick together just add one egg and smash it together like ur making meatloaf
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i always do this. It turns out just fine.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 1:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009