Sore Nipples

I have been pumping breastmilk for my baby for many months now, but my nipples are still sore. I thought that the soreness would eventually subside. However, it hurts to touch them, or to even have anything brush up against my chest. What can I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The reason they hurt is because you are basically using a vacumme on them! You do not get the benefitt of the baby nursing to help ease the natural pain that comes with nursing. When the baby thrusts its tongue aginst the nipple or areola it helps with hormones release that helps with pain. I pumped as well as nursed like all day long for at least a year. It definately is totally different than nursing. The vacumme pressure is why you're having a tough time. Definatly try to rub some lanolin on your nipples whenever you find them not moist, or hurting. This will help you a ton! Lemme know if you have any more lactation questions :)
    Tenners2

Answer by Tenners2 at 4:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Wear a bra all of the time, so they are not being brushed up against anything. And rub breastmilk onto your nipples to help them heal.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Are they cracked, red, or dry? If so you could have thrush/yeast infection on them. I have been dealing with that for a while now, and it makes nursing and pumping a pain!
    alissabieschke

Answer by alissabieschke at 12:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I only pump breastmilk, no actual breastfeeding. They are not cracked, red, or dry. Just sore. They have been that way for 6 months now. I don't know that they really need to heal, because they just hurt...sort of like a rug burn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• having them exposed to air can help. I walked around topless one day- at home of course
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2008