How big is your 3yr old and where does that put them on the chart?

My ds has always been in the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight and length....lately, a lot of people are thinking he is big for his age so i went online and looked up the peadiatric growth charts....he is 25 pounds and is 25 1/2 inches tall.....the chart i looked at put him in the 90th percentile for height and he's not even on the chart for weight.....i was just curious to see how he compared to others his age

bigblueeyes

Asked by bigblueeyes at 12:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My three year old is 39 1/2 inches tall and about 34lbs. He's at the top of the 3 year old charts. (he's the size of an average 4 year old)

I don't know on what chart you looked, but the one I have from the AAP says that at 36 months and 25 1/2 inches isn't even close to being on the chart. The 5th percentile is 35 1/2 inches!!

25lbs is below the 5th percentile.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• One thing I've learned is don't do a lot of worrying over the charts...I don't even think Dr.s should share that info with parents UNLESS it's a concern. My son was always so low on the charts, there were times he was at the 5th percentile and it made me feel terrible. The Dr assured me he is perfectly fine, smarter than a whip and full of energy. The only time Dr.s are concerned by the charts is if there is a significant drop or gain. For example, if your child has been around the 5th percentile and his weight shoots up to 50th, they're gonna wonder why. If your child is at the 50th and goes down to 5th, they'll be concerned but if it is always around the same (even low), that's just the way he's growing.
    Anonymous

• thanks, ladies....i'm definitely not worried.....just thought it was strange that all of a sudden everyone is thinking he is big for his age!...lol...dd was always at the bottom of the charts in weight....ds was born at 36 weeks and had some issues....thankfully he has overcome them...the nutritionists tried to make us feel bad for him being at the bottom of the charts but we told that that dd has alwyas been at the bottom in weight....it wasn't an issue for her and it wouldn't have been for ds had he not had some of the issues he had either.....they agreed we were right!!!....lol....he is alllllll boy!!!!!.....lol...to look at him, you'd never know anything had ever been wrong with him!

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My 2 1/2 yr old daughter (will be 3 in March) is 3ft 3in or 39" and 32lbs. I looked on that height and weight calculator for children and it said 2ft 6in for a 2 yr old. I tried 3yrs said 2ft 9in and then tried 4yr old it said 3ft 1in. And just for fun tried the 5yr old. 3ft 4in.
    The web site is http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/Height_Weight_ForChildren.asp
    if anyone would like to try it for there child and see.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 5:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• What chart are you looking at? 25 1/2 inches is no where NEAR the chart let alone in the 90th percentile!!! He's the height of an infant, not a 3 year old!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I just looked on babycenter and it says under the 5th percentile for height and weight for your son.
    My daughter is in the 90 to 95 percentile for her height and 50 to 75 for her weight.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 6:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my three year old she will be 4 in march, she is 42.5 inches tall and 34 or 35 pounds cant remember. she was off the charts literally from day one and she just now landed on the chart for her three year old appt where she was 41 inches and 30 pounds i think (dont have the stats in front of me) that put her in the 98th for height and i don't remember the weight
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• looks like he's still at the bottom of the charts....lol....that's ok.....i know he's healthy and progressing normally.....as for him being the "size of an infant"....i don't know too many infants that big!...there are a couple in his class at church that are the same age and are smaller than him and they too are healthy....i just wanted to kind of get an idea of what "average" was....thanks for all your responses!!!!

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 10:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The 50th percentile for 25 1/2 inches is a 5 month old. And by all means, as long as he is following his own growth curve, all is well!!! He's a petite little guy!

Average for a 3 year old (50th percentile) is (according to the AAP chart) is 36 inches and about 31 1/2 lbs.

My 2 year old is 33 1/2 inches and about 30lbs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2009