17months and going out!

Everytime I take my 17 month old out to do anything he starts screaming. When we are at home he is just fine, he sits in his chair, his highchair, and is very well behaved. HOWEVER! when we go to the store to shop I put him in the shopping cart and he starts screaming and shaking. When we go to eat and I put him in a highchair he starts screaming, shaking, and throwing things! I have tried just about all I can think of. I have two older kids who never acted like this and its not like he never goes out we to a lot of running around during the week. HELP!! IDEAS!!!

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 11:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may have some sort of anxiety-- Try taking him to see a doctor.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2012

• Perhaps he is getting overstimulated. When there is a lot of new sights, sounds, experiences, a child can be overloaded and act out.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 1:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• At the store you can try letting him walk and help you shop by pointing things out to him and having him put it in the cart. Or try a backpack carrier, it might help make him feel more secure. It definitely sounds like overstimulation or anxiety to me, as well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• Use a backpack or other carrier; help him feel secure

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• OK, but now how do I help him when we are out eating, we go out with family and friends offten to eat? how can I help him feel secure while eating? I have tried a booster seat and he just wants to play!?!
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• Honestly, my DS did this around 15ish months and it lasted for about 1 month. I think it's an age thing :) I hate to put if off on that, but they just DO NOT like to be contained! You may just have to barrell through some of hte necessarys (like grocery shopping) and hold back on some of the un-neccessaries( like going to a restaurant) until the phase passes. I know it's tough, but they get SO excited when out, they want to run around and check it all out!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 7:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2012