Dishwasher detergent comparisons

I have always used the Cascade powder in my dishwasher, since that is what was recommended. It works, but I occasionally get clumps that don't come out of the cups and it's getting more frequent and more annoying. I was thinking of trying the gel instead, and wanted to know if anyone uses it and what they think. I've used the little packs, too, and they're good but I don't feel I get as much out of them as I do the big box of powder or would out of the gel bottle. Also, do you get as much out of the gel as you do the powder? And does anyone use generic brands and can tell me what they think of those compared to a brand name like Cascade?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 12:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I always used Cascade, too..powder, gel, and tabs. Since I have started a strict budget I decided to try the store brand instead and save some money. Good news is it works pretty well...with a catch. You must set your dishwasher to Pre-wash/Pre-rinse FIRST and then the cheap stuff will do its job just fine. i save LOTS of money using the off-brand.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009