How do I get my 1 year old to give up his bottle?

We are using the Nuby cups with the soft silicone spout, and he loves to drink juice and water out of them, but he does NOT like his milk in them. So... he is still using a bottle for his milk before a nap and before bedtime. Any suggestions on giving the bottle the boot for good?

twiceamom623

Asked by twiceamom623 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i took it from my son
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Take them all away and don't let him see them any more!! Also, are you giving him white whole milk? If so, my son didn't really like it, so I added a teaspoon or so of ovaltine to it and he sucked it right down. Ovaltine makes the milk have a chocolate taste, but adds many needed vitamins!!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Put milk in the sippy and don't give him anything else but milk in it until he drinks it. He can drink from the sippy, so he doesn't NEED the bottle.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Your the mom....you can do want you want.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My baby had the same probelm but she loved the sippy cups with the straw for milk. Try those!
    kaleigh111

Answer by kaleigh111 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You have two choices: 1. take the bottle away one feeding at a time (starting with breakfast and save the before bed bottle for last) or 2. ditch the bottle cold turkey.

There's actually not that much difference in drinking from a sippy vs. a bottle because they still have to suck. He's looking for that comfort feeling so try snuggling with him, rocking him, reading to him while he has his cup of milk instead of a bottle of milk. You can even warm the milk in the cup if he likes it that way.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• the 3rd choice would be to let him have a bottle. I don't feel there is a need to push him. The bottle is security. although if you are giving cows milk he should probably get his teeth brushed after the nighttime bottle.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 2:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I second the sippy with the straw...my son loves those and will drink anything from them.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We were using the nuby cups with the soft spout too...She did really good with them, but when I started putting milk in them she wouldn't touch it either! So I got some of the gerber sippy cups that have a hard spout to see if that would make a difference. It took her a few mins to get the sucking down for the hard spout, but she got it and she actually drinks milk out of it! I also warm up the milk a little bit before putting it in the new cup, I always warmed up her bottles so I figured she liked it that way, also when it's cold she seems to spit some of it out? lol The only time I have a problem is if she is really tired and it's right before bed time....then every once in a while the bottle comes out!
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• just after one of his naps put it away so he cant see it...
    ur the mom ..lol take it away
    =P (no offence)
    HAUTMAMMA3908

Answer by HAUTMAMMA3908 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2009