How do you feel about using pre-made things to help with dinner?

As in, do you look down upon women who, or feel guilty for using jarred pasta sauce vs. making your own or skillet meals vs doing it from scratch? Sometimes there's so much to do it's hard to make time to make everything myself so I'll use already pasta sauce or if we really are in a time crunch I'll use those pasta & sauce skillet meals and just throw a salad together. Do other moms consider that lazy mothering? Or do you guys also do this?

goldfish09

Asked by goldfish09 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2012 in General Parenting

• It makes my life easier and I am all about that. I make stuff from scratch sometimes, but I also use pre-made things because I have 2 little ones that make it hard to spend a long time in the kitchen because one needs to be fed, one needs a diaper change and just want to play with Mommy. So I guess I am a lazy mom.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• I think that its not lazy mothering especially if your a busy mom.. I am at work from 730-530 (I have a class of 13 3 and 4 year olds) and 3 children of my own so ya know what if I need to use pre made sauce then so be it as long as my kids eat
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• Do other moms consider that lazy mothering ???? If is daily YES LAZy MOther...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• I use a few prepackaged things like, pasta sauce, 60% of my loaf bread, cereal items, a box of kraft or a frozen pizza here and there... but for the most part I cook. This used to be a 80% prepacked food household because of our lifestyle. We both worked and so it was easier to use the pre made stuff in order for us to have more time with out kids. Once I went part time I started to cook more. Now that I am home I cook a lot. I think as long as the family is getting balanced meals (lots of veggies and fruits in the mix) it's not the end of the world if some of the food has to be packaged for saving time. Not to mention some prepacked foods are better than others. they are not created equal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• I have certain things I shortcut(trust me I am not a holier then thou type person) on as long as everyone doesn't got to bed hungry that is all that matters right?. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• There are some premade things I will use and some I will not. I don't think it's lazy - sometimes there is too much to get done, and sometimes I just want a few extra minutes focused on my kids instead of the food.

Answer by missanc at 5:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• I was going to respond about how I personally feel about using pre-made things (what factors or considerations are important to me, etc.) but then I saw the Q was more "do you look down on people who do this?"

No, I don't think about it.

I can't imagine negatively assessing someone else based on this criteria!!

My thoughts & feelings about packaged/convenience foods are personal; I don't evaluate others based on their practices. I try to do what I can, and I try to do what I think is important or matters, and for the most part I don't use a lot of packaged foods, but this is not about worth, value, character, laziness, etc.

Not on my radar!

I don't judge myself harshly on this score, either. I'm an at-home mom & I have specific reasons for wanting to use whole foods & traditional preparations (soaked/sprouted grains, for instance) but I have young twins, don't always manage my time well enough & well, reality is reality!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• Everyone has their own preference on things. I personally think doing that is better then going to fast food every night, but fully homemade meals would be even healthier. All families need to find the happy medium for themselves plain and simple.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• I never make hommade pasta sauce, or homemade pizza. I always do skillet meals, and buy frozen garlic bread! I am FAR from lazy! I am a SAHM of 5 small kids, an army wife, I clean 24/7, I am responsible for 3 meals a day ( and would never have the time to make shit from scratch) I am up at 5:30 AM and down at 11:00 PM with no breaks, I am FRG leader, and trying to maintain everythin when DH is overseas, SO glitterbonmom, know this, you are rude and selfish and could NEVER survive in my world!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2012

• It all depends on what I feel like doing. I don't feel like I'm a busy mom, I'm just a mom. I use homemade about 90% of the time because it's cheaper, and I'm trying to watch my sodium intake. It has nothing to do with thinking I'm better than someone else. I grew up on Hamburger Helper type meals. My mom worked full time and she just didn't like to cook. I think my mom is amazing. I'm not a better mother just because I really do enjoy cooking and do more of it than she did.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2012